Youth Football Round-up

A ROUND-UP of youth team match reports submitted from the weekend of November 12/13.

Kickstart Youth League U7s

RIPLEY Rangers U7s v Mansfield Boys

RIPLEY put in their best performance of the season and the lads did themselves proud.

A good, competitive game throughout saw both teams evenly matched with some good football, passing moving and tackling all over the pitch.

Both teams attacked and defended well throughout the 40 minutes and when the defenders were finally beaten, the goalkeepers pulled off some fantastic saves.

It was clear how hard the Ripley boys have worked in training and how much of a real team they are becomning. The boys really enjoyed the game and the friendships and team effort was a pleasure to see with the squad supporting each other throughout.

There was good movement from the attackers and midfielders and how well they now look to link up with well-thought out passes.

The communication on the pitch improves every week and you could hear the keeper talking to defenders and defenders moving up the pitch without instruction from the side!

Kickstart League U10s Division 2

Rainworth Tigers U10s 1

Ripley Rangers U10s 4

RIPLEY had the luxury of a full strength squad and they were soon on the offensive with good work from Jake Brandrick resulting in the Rainworth keeper making a good save from Ben Hawkes.

Rangers took the lead when Jake Brandrick’s powerful shot was parried by the home keeper straight into the path of David Murray who coolly finished from six yards.

The game flowed with some good football from both teams but Ripley gained the upper hand and a five-man passing move resulted in the Rainworth keeper making a great save from Sam Long.

After great pressure and a succession of four corners, Rangers doubled their lead when a great piece of wing play by Reece Askew saw him cross for Jack Hounslow to convert into the bottom corner from eight yards and it was 2-0.

For the second half, Killian Kiggins replaced Luke Goold in goal and Nathan Allsopp came on up front and he went on to play a big part.

Higgins had to make a couple of good saves at the start of the second half and then Rainworth reduced the arrears with a cool finish at the far post.

Ripley rolled their sleefves up and Allsopp, who had already had three shots saved by the home keeper, had another parried only for Brandrick to be on hand to finish from three yards out and it was 3-1.

Rangers were not finished and Sam Long smashed the ball into the top corner for 4-1 at the end of a mazy run past three defenders.

This was a great result for Ripley who are sneaking up the table.

Man of the match: Jake Brandrick.

Ripley Rangers U12s 2

Belper Town U12s 3

Ripley were somewhat unklucky to come away with nothing from a tight, competitive game.

Rangers started well and with the midfield taking control in the early stages, it wasn’t long before their dominance was rewarded with the opening goal of the game. Some good passes between Danny Bain and Luke Jaques down the right ended with Jaques finding space on the edge of the penalty area where he hit an unstoppable left footed shot into the far corner, giving the keeper no chance.

Belper equalised on 25 minues where a long ball from defence completely by-passed the Rangers midfield and defence leaving their striker one-on-one with Sam Linford who sprinted off his line and blocked the shot but the ball fell for a Belper player to slot into an empty net.

The second half saw Belper passing the ball better and the wingers causing problems and they took the lead at 2-1. Rangers struggled with crosses coming into their box and the goal came from a corner which was floated into the front post which landed at the feet of a visiting striker who easily converted.

It wassoon 3-1 when Belper broke from defence and ended with one of the wingers slotting past Linford.

Rangers kept battling and didn’t let their heads drop but if it wasn’t for two great saves by Linford and some good defending by Chester Norman, they could have gone further behind.

Rangers reducd the arrears with ten minutes left when some nice passing between Kyle Gregory and Dan Ban set Max Didcock free down the middle. He got his shot off first time only to find the Belper keeper block it right on the edge of the box. The ball fell to Joe Martin who coolly fired the ball into the back of the net from 20yards out to set up a tense end to the game.

It gave Rangers a great chance to snatch a draw but they couldn’t find another goal and they slipped to a narrow defeat in a good, competitive game.

Rowsley League Division 2

Chesterfield Town 2

Ripley Rangers U18s 5

Ripley extended their unbeaten run to five games and sets up this week’s top-of-the-table clash between first and second at home to Barlborough.

Rangers made a slow start and Chesterfield took advantage of some slack defending to go 1-0 up.

This shocked Ripley into action and they immediately levelled with a cool finish from Kyle Hazeldine.

However, more poor marking from Ripley allowed a Chesterfield striker to fire into an empty net following a mix up in the Ripley penalty area.

Rangers were not at their best and couldn’t get their free flowing football going but Chesterfield deserve credit for not giving the Ripley defence a minute’s peace.

Ripley again pulled the game level courtesy of an own goal and then went 3-2 up with a strike from Danny Howitt.

Just before half-time Ripley made it 4-2 with hazeldine taking his second goal of the game with a fine finish.

The second half was a dull affair with little passing football played but Ripley should have scored a few more and were guilty of some poor finishing.

Ripley did add one more goal with a finish from top scorer Josh Timmis.

Man of the match: Kyle Hazeldine, for a fantastic all-round display.

Heanor Juniors U15s 4

Littleover Dazzlers 3

Heanor recorded a fine win after coming back from 3-1 down last Sunday.

Littleover were the stronger side as the game began with left winger Sunil looking dangerous.

After 10 minutes a long ball split Heanors defence for Sunil to run through and open the scoring.

Heanor drew level five minutes later when good work from Jack Sweet led to George White scoring for the third match running at the far post, Heanor couldn’t match the away teams effort and commitment and conceded two more goals to trail 3-1 at half time.

The coaches asked the Heanor lads to lift their game and start playing football.

The second half started with Littleover attacking but resolute defending from Josh Bee-Tong and Matt Ydbli kept them out.

Alex March dropped back to cover them and this made all the difference allowing full backs Dale Wood and Callum Shelbourn to get forward

Heanor worked hard but had to wait until 15 mins from the end before Jordan Smith set up Charlie Ottowell who fired powerfully home. With their tails up and Littleover tiring Heanor pushed forward . Skipper Jack Sweet picked the ball up on the left wing before cutting inside to curl a brilliant 25 yard effort into the top corner making it 3-3

With five minutes left Heanors constant attacking paid off when a loose ball into the box was rifled home by Sweet to take the points for Heanor.

This was a great victory for Heanor who showed character and spirit to keep going.

Man of the match: Jack Sweet who played a captain’s part

Allestree Juniors U12s 1

Heanor Juniors U12s 7

Heanor finally got their league campaign back under way after an absence of over a month from league fixtures.

However they were slow out of the blocks, giving the opposition far too much time to play and not cutting out simple balls.

It came as no surprise when a hit and hope ball from Allestree landed in Heanor’s half of the pitch, the defence didn’t clear their lines and allowed an Allestree player to carry the ball 15 yards and finish well.

Heanor started to play further up the pitch taking the game to Allestree with Spicer battling really well, also Lewis being a constant menace, however the spark was still missing from a Heanor perspective. The referee awarded Heanor a penalty when Cumberland was fouled in the box, and it was the same player who made it 1-1 with a finely taken penalty, although after a retake which he had also scored. Heanor were now in control, but by no means dominant as Allestree still posed a threat, testing Ludlum in the Heanor goal on a few occasions. Spicer and Lewis were definitely Heanor’s main threat of the first half and it was the latter that scored a fabulous volley to make it 1-2 going into half time.

After a little dressing down at half time Heanor came back for the second half a different team. Jake Taylor came on in the right side of midfield, moving Robinson into the middle, with Cumberland dropping back to centre half with Barker.

This gave them a whole new dimension as Taylor tore down the right hand side on numerous occasions giving the opposition left back nightmares. Lewis was even livelier up front with Mellors who also got more into the game. Bilbey, playing out on the left started a fine move, playing the ball into Lewis, who then went wide to Taylor before receiving the ball back to finish expertly past the keeper to make it 1-3.

It was now one way traffic as Heanor’s attacking line of Bilbey, Mellors, Lewis and Taylor dominated, backed up by Spicer and Robinson in the middle. Taylor’s good work out wide was rewarded by a goal soon afterwards, when he received a well-timed pass from Mellors right in the stride of his run, out pacing the left back to make it 1-4. Lewis continued to dazzle the opposition defence with his dribbling skills and range of passing and it wasn’t long before he got his deserved hat trick as he collected a long pass from Barker and calmly placed the ball past the Allestree keeper.

Mellors then made it 1-6 as he directed a shot, again from Lewis into the bottom left hand corner. It was Taylor who then made it 1-7 to complete a good second half performance with another good move down the right hand side.

A game of two halves for Heanor, who can certainly be proud of the way they responded in the second half of the match.

Man of the match – Adam Lewis.

Heanor Juniors U11s 4

West Hallam Red Sox U11s 0

Following their recent string of victories, Heanor were confident of securing another three points against lowly West Hallam.

On a dull morning West Hallam kicked off and soon found themselves under pressure from the eager Juniors team.

Although they dominated possession, Heanor struggled to create clear chances but eventually Ethan Bell broke the deadlock with a cool finish from close range.

Sam Meakin almost doubled the lead with a fine solo run which took him past three defenders but the Red Sox keeper denied him with a superb save.

Within a minute Daniel Holmes drilled in a powerful shot but once again the goalkeeper was equal to the task.

The Juniors defence was looking very solid with Tristan Carlin-Thorpe putting in an outstanding performance and as the half time whistle blew Heanor were happy with a 1-0 lead.

Early in the second half Red Sox had a great opportunity to level the scores but their forward blazed wildly over the bar when he should have scored. Eventually the second goal arrived when Sam Meakin raced clear to score following a quick throw from Kyle Harris and Meakin then made it 3-0 with a close range shot.

The previous week’s man of the match Cameron Knowles was again in fine form in midfield with his opponents struggling to contain him and Emily Seale was having her best game of the season.

With five minutes to go Heanor completed the scoring when Jared Smith smashed the ball home following a cross from the left.

Keeper Kian Simpson had barely touched the ball in the second half and he must have been more relieved than anyone to hear the final whistle.

This week Heanor are back in Cup action with an attractive fixture against West Hallam Blue Sox who will provide much sterner opposition.

Heanor Juniors U14’s 1

Little Eaton U14’s 0

The return leg and Heanor had a point to prove after the previous week’s losing performance.

Luke Miles replaced Nathan Stone in goal for this game, leaving Stone free to play out field if needed.

Straight from the whistle Heanor came out battling for every ball with five in midfield began to control the game, Bradley Sharp made several chances but not able to find the goal.

HJ continued to push forward with Ryan Seale having chances but nothing clear cut. James Pounder and Liam Whysall worked together well with some good passing.

Rhys Charlton defended well using his pace and strength and with Luke Miles in HJ goal making some clearances to keep Little Eaton at bay.

The second half came soon and continued in the same way as the 1st with HJ pushing for an opening and LE getting more into there game and beginning to ask questions of HJ defence. George Bloor and Stone came on for Pounder and Cole Fell-Meakin to try and carve a way through a resilient LE team. Bloor and Sharp both had shots off target in the second half and Seale hit the post and bouncing out to a LE defender. LE had a 1 on 1 chance but Miles made a good save and then again from another shot from the rebound. HJ made the breakthrough with only 5 minutes left, with good determination from Stone winning the ball in his own half and beating a player and slotting a great waited ball to Seale who pushed forward and hit a great shot in the bottom left corner of the goal beating the LE keeper. Heanor had to hang on with Miles punching away a corner late on Lewis Mee and Charlton working hard to get it clear, Charlton cleared from his own line and collided with the post but brushed himself off to carry on. HJ battled on till the final whistle and got theirrewards with a great win.

Man of the Match: Rhys Charlton, superb defending, chasing and winning everything with his pace and determination with a never-say-die approach.

Excellent game from everyone, superb determination and effort from the first to the last minute. Well done Lads.

Derby Mini Soccer

Under 9’s Group2

Codnor Boys 4

Stockbrook Colts 1

CODNOR returned to winning ways with a good win against mid-table Stockbrook.

The Boys began the game with only six players due to players attending Rememberance Day Services and travel problems.

Ewan McCracken again stood in as goalkeepe and Codnor managed to hold on until they were up to their full compliment of players, and then gradually took charge.

James Dean opened the scoring after a good move involving Ben Richards and Bradley Pearson.

Another goal soon followed, again finished by James Dean from Ben Greaves excellent pass.

The score was 2-0 to Codnor at half time - with the next goal vital.

Colby O’Hare resumed in goal for Codnor before James Dean completed his hat-trick with a fine solo goal - all great finishes.

Lewis Walker scored the fourth from Lewis Hartshornes pass.

Stockbrook scored a deserved consolation with the last kick of the match. A fine victory for Codnor consolidates their position in the league as fourth place.

Pleasing performances all round. Ben Greaves had his best game for Codnor and Noah Wright was outstanding marshaling the defence.

Heanor Staffs U15s 2

Hilton Harriers 0

THERE was slow start by both teams with the first goal coming from a pass by Farren Packard which set up Oliver Naylor for the opening goal and a 1-0 half-time lead.

Within minutes of the second half, Heanor were awarded a corner which was taken by Joshua Perry and headed in by Tom Lewis-Hood for his first ever goal for the club.

Liam Gregory, Adam Wright and Jamie Wilkinson all defended well to keep the

Straight into the second half, within minutes we where awarded a corner taken by Joshua Perry which was then headed in by Tom Lewis-Hood which was his first goal ever for Heanor staffs. Liam gregory, Adam Wright and Jamie Wilkinson all defendered well and the victory was a sixth from six league games played.

Heanor Staffs U14s 8

Castle Donington U14s

Castle Donington were the first team on the scoresheet but top of the league Heanor hit back to run away with the game, especially in the second half where they scored six to make it six wins from six league games.

Alex Mee equalised with a shot from near the half-way line before Josh Price worked his way upfield to get the second goal and put Staffs 2-1 up at half-time.

Further goals came in the second half from Jordan Bonser (2), Adam Baldwin (2), Ryan Handle and Tallen Hotchkiss.

Heanor Staffs U15s

Somersal Yellows U15s

After Somersal opened the scoring on five minutes, a great throw from Farren Packard reached Kadey Stevenson-Steeples and he headed the equaliser.

Kadey put through his own goal to put Somersal 2-1 up at the interval.

After a feisty start to the second half, Heanor dominated before a Somersal player required hospital treatment after a collision with one of his own players.

The final goal came from Heanor defender Adam Wright for 2-2.