Wilson’s first-half strike stuns promotion-hopefuls Wrexham

Blue Square Bet Premier

Wrexham 0

Alfreton Town 1

Good Friday heralded the finest win in Alfreton Town’s 53-year history, and is the biggest measure yet of just how far this club has come.

The game at Wrexham, witnessed by a bumper holiday crowd of 4,673 who were anticipating that the second-placed hosts would consolidate their push for promotion, may not have been a classic but Alfreton were rewarded by climbing into 14th spot in the Blue Square Bet Premier on merit.

A solitary goal by Anthony Wilson two minutes before the interval was enough to secure the Reds’ fifth away win on the bounce and their seventh victory from the last eight games, with only the nine-goal thriller at home to Mansfield preventing a clean sweep.

Wrexham huffed and puffed for 25 minutes before making a direct approach as their fans became increasingly jittery.

Meanwhile, Alfreton quietly and efficiently went about their task, with Darran Kempson’s header from Josh Law’s eighth minute corner having to be hacked clear by Danny Wright.

Five minutes later a neat flick inside by Adam Cunnington released Jake Moult for a wayward shot from 20 yards, but another difficult pitch limited both sides’ endeavours.

When Wrexham finally roused from their slumbers Reds’ keeper Jon Stewart had to race out of goal to clear as player-manager Andy Morrell played Wright through, then in the 27th minute Morrell’s looping header was held by Stewart.

Then Stewart held a low drive from Mathias Pogba before the game swung dramatically in Alfreton’s favour.

Kempson saw a shot cleared off the line by Dean Keates, and from the resulting Law corner Wilson was left unmarked 12 yards out to power a header past Wrexham keeper Joslain Mayebi.

Two minutes after the restart Stewart had to turn aside Jamie Tolley’s header from a Paul Pogba lay-off, while Wilson fired well over for the Reds from 16 yards and a dipping free-kick from Law went close.

Glen Little and Morrell both nearly levelled, the latter’s full-blooded drive somehow blocked by Connor Franklin.

With just six minutes remaining Cunnington embarked on a by-line run before seeing his shot saved at the near post by Mayebi, before the groans around the stadium were loud and pointed as Pogba squandered a golden opportunity for an equaliser in the 89th minute, allowing the ball to become stuck under his feet inside the six-yard box from Rob Ogleby’s penetrating cross.

In five minutes of added time Mark Creighton and Ogleby both wasted good chances and ultimately that was that as Alfreton held on.

Alfreton Town: Jon Stewart, Josh Law, Connor Franklin, Adam Quinn (Theo Streete 33), Darran Kempson, Seamus Conneely, Anton Brown, Jake Moult, Nathan Arnold (Jamie Mullan 46), Anthony Wilson, Adam Cunnington. Subs not used: Nicky Deverdics, Daniel Meadows, Paul Clayton.

Attendance: 4,673.