Swans put seven past Linby

Shane Buckerfield scores for Swanwick Pentrich Road.
Shane Buckerfield scores for Swanwick Pentrich Road.

Swanwick Pentrich Road shook off the disappointment of an opening day defeat by trouncing Linby CW 7-1 on Tuesday night.

Swans manager Andy Worrall rang the changes for his first home game in charge. However, nobody would have expected the changes to have the impact they did, with the home side running out clear winners.

The visitors came out of the traps from the kick-off, playing a pressing game that shocked the hosts.

Linby’s new signing Johnathon Bullock was the first to hit the net when he slotted a cut back into the roof of the net.

This was to be Linby’s highlight of the match and what ensued was a very one sided affair. The match was all square at the 15 minute mark, when a well delivered Chris Turner free-kick was met by a diving header from Swans captain Richard Wall.

Linby seemed to struggle with the Swanwick wide play and when Dean Owen latched onto yet another cross, the hosts were ahead.

Harry Waldram in the Linby goal was doing his utmost to keep the game close, however, he could then only parry a Swanwick shot into the path of Tom Henstock who gladly guided the ball home.

The home side never took their foot off the pedal, and when a ball rolled into the path of Jamie Slater on the edge of the box, the left back drove the ball into the bottom corner to make it 4-1.

The next goal was to trigger Linby’s downfall, when skipper Ash Winfield saw yellow after arguing with the officials.

His dispute was over an alleged Owen offside call, who broke free down the wing to deliver a low cross that was despatched by Shane Buckerfield.

Unfortunately, the yellow card was not taken on board by Winfield, who was moments later adjudged to have pulled back Buckerfield to prevent him moving forward with the ball.

The referee gave the Linby skipper a final chance, however, Winfield simply couldn’t accept the decision and saw red for dissent.

To add insult to injury, the following free-kick was driven home by Turner, taking the home side into half time with a five goal lead.

With the visitors down to ten men, the hosts made the extra space count, keeping possession rather than pushing forwards. However, there was time for young Henry Brooks to make his mark off the bench. Brooks, a product of the u18s side, squirmed his way past the Linby defence to beat Waldram to the keeper’s right.

The Swans will take great delight in the result and with Eastwood visiting Highfield Road this Saturday they will be raring to go again.