Senior Cup thriller sees Selston stun Radcliffe

Tim Moore gets in on the action.
Tim Moore gets in on the action.

Selston entertained Radcliffe Olympic in the Notts Senior Cup first round on Saturday and produced a fine display to see off their higher division opponents after extra-time.

Radcliffe operate in the East Midlands Counties League, one step above the Central Midlands League while Selston are currently in eighth position but have games in hand on those around them and are unbeaten since the opening day of the season.

The visitors had the better of the play for the opening 20 minutes and were rewarded when the left winger beat the Selston right back, Cam Short, and put in a great cross across the face of goal where the lively Aaron Martin bundled the ball home to put his team ahead.

Selston survived a few scares but levelled when Short found space wide on the right wing and floated in a delightful ball for Tim Moore who evaded his marker and slotted home two minutes before the break.

After the break Selston seemed much more settled, Tom Widdowson and Sean Gregory coming more into the game while Steve Radzynski made much more of the balls to his feet up front.

Despite the quality of the play there were precious few chances, Radcliffe having the best when a rare Shaun Farnsworth mistake allowed Radcliffe free on goal but Jake Simpson stood tall and saved the resulting shot with his feet.

Carl Moore replaced Wayne Cooke on 71 minutes and Selston looked as if they would take hold of the tie, Moore’s fresh legs making an immediate impact as Selston probed the Radcliffe back line and forced several corners.

Further fresh legs were unleashed in the form of Dominic Airey at the expense of the goalscorer Tim Moore on 74.

Just as Selston had seemed to get on top they were hit by a suckerpunch. Radcliffe hit Selston on the break as a ball over the back line caught the home team out and Ryan Smith lobbed the keeper to score on 76 minutes.

The home side were still in the ascendancy despite being a goal behind. Gregory finally got going with some great driving from midfield and Airey showed why he’s been missed with non-stop harrying of the defence and superb runs.

Aaron Brady replaced the hard working Radzynski on 82 minutes and had levelled the tie within three minutes. Short was the provider again, finding himself space wide right and delivering a great ball into the box where Brady sniffed out the chance and finished on the half volley.

Olympic saw the game out to extra-time but Selston were clearly in the ascendancy now, the fresh legs and nous of Carl Moore and Brady up front, allied to the renewed Gregory and effervescent Airey and Widdowson, alongside influential skipper Ben Moore keeping Radcliffe firmly in their own half.

Just three minutes into the first half of extra-time the pressure paid when Carl Moore’s clever flick on was read expertly by Brady and he advanced to put the ball into an open goal with the Olympian’s keeper stranded.

The score remained at 3-2 at half-time in extra-time but Selston maintained the pressure and on 117 minutes Gregory broke through two tackles during a 40-yard run down the left wing and he released the overlapping Tom Widdowson who finished emphatically making it 4-2.

Radcliffe hearts had gone now and Airey was very unlucky not to put the icing on the cake on 118 minutes when he hit the post, but the match was won and Selston now face Wollaton in the next round.