Moyses delighted as Alfreton Town upset Brackley to edge nearer safety

Alfreton Town pulled off a shock win at high-flying Brackley Town on Saturday to take a giant step towards National League North safety.

Sunday, 15th April 2018, 4:39 pm
Updated Sunday, 15th April 2018, 4:41 pm

The FA Trophy finalists having previously been unbeaten at home in all League and Cup games this season.

Manager Chris Moyses was understandably delighted.

“It meant a lot to us today to actually come down and put things right from the week previously - so we’ve worked hard all week, knowing full well we had to come away with something today.

“Credit’s due, the lads worked hard to the game plan and carried it out perfectly.

“lt was a really good squad performance. We’ve asked players to come into the fray [with defender Luke Shiels and keeper Viktor Johansson injured] and they’ve done that - credit where credit’s due to everybody.”

lt took just 110 seconds for Alfreton to take a grip on this crucial game, Chris Sharp on hand to stab home from close range after Nyal Bell had headed down Tom Allan’s astute cross.

Brendon Daniels celebrated his 18th goal of the campaign with a sublime finish after Brackley defender Ellis Myles had made a complete hash of trying to lay a Ceiron Keane cross back to keeper Danny Lewis in the 30th minute.

Four minutes before half-time the Reds made it three goals from three attacks when Lewis had slipped as he stretched to field another precision delivery from Keane, leaving Sharp unmarked to slot home his second of the game.

Brackley were clearly shell-shocked, but it needed returning Reds’ keeper Chris Elliott to pull off excellent saves from Gareth Dean, Luke Graham and Matt Lowe during the course of the opening 45 minutes, whilst the defence dealt competently with a string of corners.

The hosts eventually managed to reduce the deficit with 61 minutes on the clock, a simple header by Aaron Williams from an equally simple right wing cross finally beating Elliott.

Further pressure was soaked up before Craig Westcarr received his marching orders after disputing a free-kick on 69 minutes and Alfreton’s task intensified, having to play the remainder of the game with ten men, although they crucially maintained their two-goal cushion.

A further outstanding save by Elliott from Dean was the prelude to a dazzling central run by Tom Platt, who was just about to fire home in the 75th minute when the ball bobbled on the unpredictable St. James Park surface and the outcome was well off target.

After the final whistle every Alfreton player went over to the fans behind the goal to shake hands with as many as they could, demonstrating their appreciate of their support.