Kyle Ryde secures two more podium places in British 600cc Supersport Championship

editorial image

Jacksdale’s Kyle Ryde claimed two podium places during the third round of the British 600cc Supersport Championship at the picturesque Oulton Park.

He went in to the race meeting with high hopes after a brace of wins in the last two rounds at Brands Hatch and Donington left him third in the Championship.

Saturday was the free practice day and Kyle’s old adversary from last year’s Superstock Championship Andy Reid, fired himself to the top of the timing board in the opening free practice session, remaining on top over the combined sessions after the afternoon session which took place in damp conditions.

Reid crashed out at Lodge, whilst Kyle himself crashed at Hizzy’s after racing to blistering two seconds ahead of the pack.

Series leader Stapleford was second fastest in the dry ahead of Jake Dixon.

Qualifying on Sunday was again in very damp conditions, but Ryde took advantage of some fine dry lines to finally end on the second row of the grid in fifth place for the first of the two weekend races later in the afternoon.

In Race 1 on Sunday, Stapleford and Irwin gained the break and a five bike scrap behind them saw Rispoli, Wilson & Dixon all crashing out, leaving Kyle in a now very secure third place with Reid in fourth.

Sam Hornsey’s bike blew up on the tenth lap, so with the race red-flagged and the race result declared giving Stapleford the victory with Irwin second and Ryde taking a respectable third.

Race 2 on Bank Holiday Monday started with Irwin making the break ahead of series leader Stapleford with Rispoli third. Kyle was fourth followed by Reid and Dixon.

Stapleford made a move on Irwin on the second lap, but then by the eighth lap Stapleford was in the pits with engine problems, this left Kyle to take the lead from Irwin.

With Kyle’s father eagerly waving him on from the pit wall, this was turning into some racing battle for Kyle, with Dixon & Reid coming into the frame once again.

As the safety car came out for three laps, Irwin got into the lead from Kyle once again, then as they came to the final couple of laps, Reid’s move on the leading duo catapulted him from third to first in one move and took everyone by surprise.

But on the next lap Reid was up and out of the saddle as his machine almost high-sided him.

This unnerved Irwin and a stalking Dixon made his move followed quickly by Kyle and Andy Reid, leaving Irwin with a lot of ground to make up.

This leading trio almost crossed the line together, Dixon taking the win from Kyle then Reid, with Irwin having to settle for fourth.