Lions up to sixth after productive double-header

Chris Shaw celebrates scoring at the weekend. Photo by Paul Morley.
Chris Shaw celebrates scoring at the weekend. Photo by Paul Morley.

Heanor Town’s hectic period of matches continued with a win and a draw from their two encounters this week.

Saturday saw the Lions produce a late fightback from a goal down to win 2-1 at Glasshoughton Welfare.

Del Pollock had put Glasshoughton into a 14th minute lead and that was how it remained until the 78th minute, despite Matt Savage striking the crossbar and seeing other efforts go close.

Chris Shaw then popped up with his first goal for Heanor to level the scores, heading home powerfully, before Kieran Debrouwer’s 83rd minute penalty earned the three points.

On Tuesday night, the Lions hosted Athersley Recreation at the Town Ground.

With injuries piling up and games coming thick and fast Heanor manager Glen Clarence rang the changes.

The Lions deserved a point in the end but Athersley came within two minutes of not only spoiling Heanor’s nine-match unbeaten run, but in becoming the first team this season to do the double over them.

Scott Alcock put the Barnsley side ahead from a wind-assisted third minute corner, but a sharp turn and cracking low shot into the corner from Kieran Debrouwer for his 48th goal of the season restored parity 12 minutes later.

Alcock later became his team’s saviour with a tackle that thwarted Ryan Tinsley just as he was about to shoot Heanor ahead.

Heanor had wind advantage in the second-half and Gary Webster, Nathan Benger, Tinsley and Nick Hall all peppered the visitors’ goal. But Athersley were a danger on the break and went back in front on 74 minutes when Lee Bennett was left to tap home to finish a great move.

A first defeat in ten games looked on the cards until skipper Hall chased a long kick from custodian Mark Frost and to the surprise of the visitors’ defence caught up with the ball six yards out to steer home the leveller.

lHeanor will visit Retford United in the fourth round of the League Cup tonight (Thursday) before they then host Staveley Miners Welfare on Saturday and Maltby Main next Tuesday (25th) as their congested spell continues.