Highs coring draws for Heanor Town seconds

HEANOR Town second XI were involved in two high-scoring draws over last weekend.

On Saturday Whitmoor were the visitors to the Heanor Town Ground.

The visitors were invited to bat and despite losing an early wicket they scored briskly against another depleted Heanor attack.

(For the Heanor’s Saturday games this week 14 players were unavailable and three more players made their debut).

The opener Mark Ede made a decent 98 and frustrated the field with chancy shots that always avoided the fielders. He fell just short of what would have been his first hundred. He received support from Bradbury who made 42 and Wilson who made 37 and Heanor took wickets in the latter part of the innings as Gary Hickinbotham took 4 for 43.

The total of 253 for 7 looked a good one on a very good batting wicket.

Heanor replied with attacking shots and reached 40 before Mark Fletcher was stumped.

The run rate slowed dramatically then for 15 overs as Heanor lost their way and the bowlers kept the runs down.

Heanor had along tail which needed protecting but the target was far too high from drinks onwards. Paul Barlow worked hard for 79 and Gary Hickinbotham made 49 not out. Lucy Antcliffe came in and made a very brisk 31 not out and brightened up the late stages as Heanor finished on 186 for 2.

On Sunday, Mugginton visted Heanor and the home side batted first. Chris Moore ran himself out early on and Gary Hickinbotham was out LBW which brought in Mark and Paul Fletcher.

They set about the bowling and piled on runs in good time and both reached 50 quickly before Paul Fletcher cut loose and hit the ball to all areas to reach 105 with some mighty sixes before he was caught in the deep.

His brother was out soon afterwards for a good 89. The innings closed at 251 for 5 and all bowlers suffered.

Heanor made a good start taking an early wicket but then had to wait some time for the next. The visitors score were almost identical to Heanors at drinks interval but then Steve Literski took three wickets for 16 to make the score 110 for 5.

With 11 overs to go Heanor fancied a victory but torrential rain and hail arrived which meant the game had to be abandoned as water was standing on the square and running like a river at the lower side.

Twenty-two points were gained from these two draws which was useful for a mid table Heanor side.