Youth Football Round-up

Below are all the youth football reports which have been submitted for matches played over the weekend of January 28/29.

Heanor Staffs U15s 2

Belper Sports U15s 6

ANY thoughts that this was going to be a tough, close game with second place playing third soon disappeared as Belper scored in the first ten minutes and added a second on 15.

By half-time the visitors were 4-0 up and it got worse as Staffs came out for the second half still looking half-asleep.

Belper scored two more goals in the second half before Heanor eventually came to life with two goals from Farren Packard.

Sunday Division One

Heanor Staffs U15s 1

Old Whittington 2

After a good start from both sides, Heanor took the lead after Oliver Naylor was brought down in the penalty area and Liam Sloman scored from the resultant penalty.

However, Old Whittington hit straight back from the restart to equalise and the score remained 1-1 to half-time.

The second half began slowly and after a period of stalemate, it was the visitors who grabbed a somewhat sloppy winner with Heanor suffering some wrong decisions from the referee’s assistant.

Derby City League, Sunday U13s Division 3

Normanton Allstars 5

Codnor Boys U13s 1

THE two form teams of the league met for the first time this season and it was Normanton who came out the victors.

After three weeks without a game, Codnor looked very rusty and began the game slowly.

Normanton created their first chance on two minutes which they duly took and doubled the lead on four minutes.

Codnor were simply not at the races, but slowly ground themselves into the match.

Bradley and Atkin had half-chances but wasted the final ball./

There seemed to be a lack of effort, and certainly determination to win the ball, which resulted in Normanton further extending their lead to 3-0 before half-time.

The second half began with Codnor looking more assured on the ball, and a little more effort being applied. Normanton earned a corner, and with a parent holding back the corner flag, they duly scored with a header.

On 60 minutes, Grainger played a through-ball for Webster to race onto, and he coolly finished into the bottom corner.

Just before full-time, Normanton further extended their lead to 5-1, to round off a disappointing display from Codnor.

The win for Normanton kept their 100 per cent record in the league, with 11 wins from 11 games. Whilst it was only Codnor’s second defeat in nine games, they now sit sixth with games in hand.

Man of the match: Joe Castle (showed determination in the tackle).

Derby Mini Soccer U9s Group 2

Codnor Boys 2

Stockbrook Colts Lions 1

Two goals from James Dean gave Codnor a hard fought win over Stockbrook.

On a cold Sunday and with the racecourse pitch very muddy, Codnor welcomed back Lewis Hartshorne, whilst Colby O’Hare and Ewan McCracker shared goalkeeping duties.

The game was very even, with a poor playing surface making life difficult for the more skilful players. Codnor took the lead half way through the first half when James Dean was brought down in the penalty area when clear on goal. James himself got up to put away the penalty. Codnor reached the interval 1-0 up.

The second half followed much the same pattern. Both sides battled away with Noah Wright relishing slide tackling in the mud. Stockbrook got a deserved equaliser when Colby O’Hare was unable to stop a speculative shot.

With the game in the balance, James Dean again came to Codnor’s rescue, intercepting a goal kick, and shooting high into the net.

Codnor had to dig in for the final few minutes as Stockbrook put on some pressure. Ben Greaves and Lewis Hartshorne defended well and Noah Wright cleared a shot off the line.

Codnor held on to secure another three points. It was never pretty and Stockbrook will count themselves unlucky but Codnor did just enough to win and remain in second place in the league with four matches left to play.

Kickstart U10s Division 2

Ripley Rangers 4

Rainworth Welfare 0

After hitting Kirkby for four goals the previous weekend, it was the turn of Rainworth Welfare play in-form Ripley Rangers.

The pitch was more like a ploughed field than a football pitch but both teams managed to play some decent football despite the conditions.

Reece Askew and Regan McDonagh combined well in midfield to set up a chance for David Murray whose shot was tipped around the post by the Rainworth keeper.

Luke Goold made a good save diving to his left to save from a Rainworth forward.

The game was taking shape and Rangers were getting on top, the Rainworth keeper saving from Reece Askew.

Then a great pass from Askew to David Murray saw him slip his marker and passto Sam Long whose shot was smashed into the far corner to put Rangers 1-0 up.

Ripley took control of the game and had Rainworth on the back foot with Rainworth pleased to hear the half-time whistle.

Rangers kept their momentum going after the break and Regan McDonagh passed the ball to David Murray whose pin-point pass found Jack Hounslow in space taking his shot on the turn into the net to make it 2-0.

Then a good bit of inter-play between James Phillips and Jack Hounslow and the ball dropped to Regan McDonagh and he calmly finished off the move to cap a great captain’s display with a goal and it was 3-0.

The Rainworth keeper made fine saves from Jo Bower and Jake Brandrick and a solo run by James Phillips deserved better after he left three Rainworth players and his shot got sccoped off the line.

After a succession of Ripley corners a Regan McDonagh shot was blocked on the line but the alert David Murray pounced to wrap up the win with the fourth goal.

This was another great display by Ripley Ranger. They worked really hard from back to front.

Man of the match: all of them, they were fantastic!

Derby City League U12s Division

Ripley Rangers 0

Mickleover 95 4

The Rangers had their first game on over a month and played very well against a good Mickleover team.

The first half was even and both teams tried to play some good football on a difficult pitch.

Luke Gee and Joe Martin battled hard up front to hold the ball up and both did this well, bringing Kyle Gregory , Luke Jaques and Danny Bain into the game.

There was also some great defending at the back, particularly from Josh Lomas and Ben Rose and there was nothing between the teams until the 25th minute.

Mickleover were pressing in the Rangers box when a cross deflected from Danny Bain’s leg and brushed his arm and the referee awarded a penalty, albeit very harsh.

The penalty taker sent Sam Linford the wrong way to make the score 1-0.

Rangers continued to battle with Sam Clifton winning a lot of the ball in midfield as well as the reliable Bain plus some great defending by George O’Neill.

The second half continued just like the first where there was nothing between each team with Joe Miller coming on in midfield and having a good game, winning a lot of the ball and getting some passes off.

Also Gregory and Chester Norman swapped places and got some good moves going down the left flank. Jack Bowler had also come on at that stage and he made an immediate impact, winning the ball and going past players, making some good passes with Max Didcock and Joe Martin.

However, with ten minutes to go Mickleover got two quick-fire goals with some good finishing which was very hard on Rangers as they had defended really well.

There was one late chance for Max Didcock who fired narrowly wide, just before Mickleover latched onto a long clearance to run on and score a forth.

The score line was hard on Rangers as they maybe even deserved a draw for a very good battling display.

Man of the match: George O’Neill, some great defensive tackles and some great clearances with his boot and head.

Match sponsor: Stringfellows Trade Outlet, Nottingham Road, Ripley

Kickstart Youth League Under 7’s

Ripley Rangers v

Manor Black

Ripley Rangers under 7’s kicked off on a cold wet day eager to keep their good run going.

Manor Black took the initial initiative but Ripley survived the early pressure and began to take more control of the game.

Ripley scored a good goal with a sweeping move from defence to attack.

Throughout the first half Ripley played good football, working hard as a team, defending well and attacking in numbers and they thoroughly deserved their second goal.

Manor Black came out strong in the second half with some good attacking moves and grabbed to quick goals to level the match.

This stung Ripley into action as they regained control of midfield winning every tackle; they swept forward time and again and deserved the goals that came their way.

The whole team worked very hard for each other and this was without doubt their best team performance, the final goal of the game summed up the performance, with the ball being won with a solid tackle in midfield before coming out to the left side of midfield, the ball was then carried the length of the pitch on a fine run before being passed across the goal, the ball was tapped in by the player that originally won the tackle who had followed the run all the way, what a good goal!

Well done to all the boys.