Youth football round-up

Youth football reports submitted from games played on the weekend of November 19/20.

Derby Mini Soccer Cup

Codnor Boys 0

Field Lane 3

CODNOR’S interest in this season’s cup competition came to an end with a comprehensive defeat against Field Lane.

It was always expected to be a tough game with Field Lane being top of the league, winning all eight matches to date.

Codnor began with Lewis Walker replacing the unavailable Liam Shelton.

Field Lane took a two-goal lead in the first half as Codnor struggled to make an impact. Tanaka Muchechesi and Bradley Pearson tried to create but came up against an organised defence and excellent goalkeeper.

The second half followed much the same pattern and Field Lane scored again as Codnor failed to clear.

Colby O’Hare made some good saves and Noah Wright made some strong tackles. James Dean came closest for Codnor with a shot that just cleared the crossbar.

Codnor continued to battle and never gave up, but Field Lane were always the better team.

It’s back to league action this week and hopefully codnor can bounce back from this.

Derby City League U13s Division 3

Codnor Boys U13s 7

Spondon Dynamo 0

In difficult, foggy conditions, Codnor gained their first league double of the season over a determined Spondon side.

With only 10 minutes gone Codnor took the lead through Byrne’s delightful lob, after Heappey’ through ball sent him clear. Heappey then doubled the lead with a fine finish from Clark’s precise pass.

The third goal of the game quickly followed when Castle turned in a Waldron cross from close range, before Waldron made it 4-0 when he rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the empty net.

With 25 minutes gone it was Webster’s turn to score, with a fine finish from Grainger’s through ball to make it 5-0, then on the stroke of half-time Atkin finished another Heappey pass to leave their opponents in a spin at half-time, 6-0.

The second half began with Spondon in a far more determined mood, and they could have reduced the deficit when they were awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge, however, the resultant penalty was stroked just wide of the post.

The game now swung from end-to-end, and Codnor increased their lead when Webster’s through ball sent Atkin clear for his second of the game, to make it 7-0.

This did not deter Spondon in their efforts to get on the scoresheet, and only timely interventions from Nolan, Cooke and Mycock prevented them from doing so.

The game finished 7-0 but great credit goes to both sides in difficult conditions.

Man of the match: Elliott Clark for some great distribution.

Kickstart Youth League Under-7s

Ripley Rangers v Mansfield Boys

Ripley Rangers U7s had a great game against Mansfield Boys, from start to finish both teams were equally matched.

The game was competitive throughout with both teams playing good football, passing moving and tackling all over the pitch. It kept you on ‘the edge of your seat’ throughout the 40 minute, with both teams attacking and defending well, when the defenders were beaten, the goal keepers pulled off some fantastic saves.

Today it was clear how hard the Ripley Rangers boys have worked in training and how much of a real team they are becoming. The boys really enjoyed the game and the friendships and team effort was a pleasure to see, with the whole squad supporting each other throughout the match.

It was good to see good movement from the attackers and midfielders and how well they now look to link up, with well thought out passes. The communication on the pitch improves every week, you could hear the keeper talking to defenders and defenders moving up the pitch without instruction from the side! The players improve every week as does the team. This was the best performance of the season so far and the lads did themselves proud. Well done all. keep up the good work!

Kickstart U10s Division 2

Rainworth Tigers U10s 1

Ripley Rangers U10s 4

WITH the luxury of a full strength squad, Ripley followed up the previous week’s win against the same opposition.

Ripley Rangers kicked off and were soon on the offensive with good work from Jake Brandrick resulting in the Rainworth keeper making a good save from Ben Hawkes.

Rainworth were again on and A Jake Maskell pass put through Jake Brandrick whose powerful shot was parried by the keeper straight into the path of David Murray who coolly finished from six yards to make the score 1-0 to Ripley.

The game flowed with some good football from both teams but Rangers gained the upper hand and a five-man passing move resulted in the Rainworth keeper making a great save from Sam Long.

After great pressure and a succession of four corners Ripley Rangers made a breakthrough when a great piece of wing play by Reece Askew saw him cross the ball for Jack Hounslow who converted the cross into the bottom corner from eight yards out and it was 2-0.

Killian Higgins replaced Luke Goold in goal at half time for Ripley and Nathan Allsopp came on up front and it was the latter who would play a big part in the second half.

Higgins had to make a couple of good saves at the start of the second half and then Rainworth scored with bodies over in the box a cool finish at the far post to make it 1-2.

Ripley Rangers rolled their sleeves up and Nathan Allsopp, who had already had three shots saved by the Rainworth keeper, had another parried only for Jake Brandrick to be on had to finish from three yards for 3-1 to the visitors.

Rangers were not finished and Nathan Allsopp won the ball and passed to Sam Long who went on a mazy run past three defenders and smashed the ball into the top corner to end the scoring.

This was a great result for Ripley who are sneaking up the table.

Man of the match: Jake Brandrick.

Ripley Rangers U12s 2

Belper Town Juniors U12s 3

Rangers Under 12’s were somewhat unlucky to come away with nothing from a tight, competitive game.

Ripley began really well with the midfield taking control in the early stages and it wasn’t long before their dominance was rewarded with the opening goal.

Some good passes between Danny Bain and Luke Jaques down the right ended with Jaques finding space on the edge of the box, where he hit an unstoppable left-footed shot into the far corner, giving the keeper no chance.

The next ten minutes became a battle of the midfield with both teams trying to take control of the game but it led to an equaliser for Belper on 25 minutes where a long ball from their defence completely by-passed the Rangers midfield and defence, leaving their striker one on one with Sam Linford in the Rangers goal.

Linford sprinted off his line and blocked the shot but the ball fell to a Belper player who slotted it into an empty net and the teams went into half-time level at 1-1.

The second half began with Belper passing the ball better and their two wingers causing problems and it wasn’t long before they took the lead.

Rangers were struggling with crosses coming into their box and the goal came from a corner that was floated into the front post which landed at the feet of a Belper striker who easily converted the chance to give them the lead.

It was soon 3-1 when Belper broke from defence, passing the ball in midfield and then with a quick switch of play they found a nice pass into one of the wingers who slotted the ball past Linford.

Rangers kept battling and didn’t let their heads drop but if it wasn’t for two great saves by Linford and some good defending by Chester Norman they would have gone further behind.

Rangers battled their way back into the game though with ten minutes to go when some nice passing between Kyle Gregory and Dan Bain set Max Didcock free down the middle.

He got his shot off first time only to find the Belper keeper block the shot, right on the edge of the box.

The ball fell to Joe Martin who coolly fired the ball into the back of the net from 20 yards to set up a tense end to the game.

It gave Rangers a great chance to snatch a draw from the game but they couldn’t find another goal and slipped to a narrow defeat in a good competitive game.

Match sponsors: Stringfellows Trade Outlet, Nottingham Road, Ripley

Rowsley League U18s Division 2

Chesterfield Town 2, Ripley Rangers 5

ipley Rangers made to trip to play Chesterfield Town on a dull winters afternoon, Ripley made a slow start to the game with Chesterfield taking advantage of some slack defending and firing them into a 1-0 lead.

This shocked Ripley into action and they immediately levelled the score with a cool finish from Kyle Hazeldine.

However, more poor marking from Ripley allowed a Chesterfield striker to fire into the back of the empty net following a mix in the Ripley penalty area.

Ripley weren’t at their best and couldn’t get there free flowing football going, but credit Chesterfield who never gave the Ripley Ddfence a minute’s peace.

Ripley again pulled the game level when a Chesterfield defender fired in an own goal then Ripley pushed on making it 3-2 with a strike from Danny Howitt.

Just before the half-time whistle, Ripley made it 4-2 with Hazeldine taking his second goal of the game with a fine finish.

The second half was a dull affair with little passing football played from both teams and Ripley should have scored a few more but they were guilty of some poor finishing.

Ripley though did score one more goal with a finish from top goal scorer Josh Timmis. The win extends Ripley’s unbeaten run to five matches.

Man of the match went to Kyle Hazeldine with a fantastic all round display.

Heanor Staffs U14s 5

Chellaston Boys 3

CHELLASTON took a three-goal lead into half-time but it was Staffs who ran out victorious after a stunning fight-back in the second half.

A succession of goals from Ethan Cotterill, two from Ryan Gorman, one from Jacob Street and a superb towering header from Harry Powdrill gave Staffs the points.

Allestree Juniors U15s 0

Heanor Staffs U15s 6

After a slow start, Thomas Lewis Hood fired Staffs in front and after Farren Packard had netted, Heanor went in 2-0 up at half-time.

Oliver Naylor added the third when he went round the keeper and he then added two more to wrap up his hat-trick before Packard was brought down and Liam Sloman netted from the resultant penalty.

Allestree missed from the spot.

Belper Sports U14s 1

Heanor Staffs U14s 8

Adam Baldwin chipped home the opener after which Belper equalised.

Heanor hit back and Jamie Harrison made it 2-1 before a Tallen Hotchkiss goal gave Staffs a 3-1 half-time lead.

The second half was the Jordon Bonser show as he hit five goals for Staffs.