Youth football review

YOUTH football action from the weekend of March 17/18.

Heanor Juniors U10’s 2

Castle Donington U10’s 2

For the second week in a row Heanor came up against Castle Donington, and for the second week in a row came away with less than they deserved after another example of how far they have progressed this season.

All 13 players have played in the last two weeks and they have all put in displays to be proud of.

From the first kick off it was all Heanor. Jake Ellis and Oliver Kerry had little to do at the back, but when they were called on they dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

The midfield three of Jordan Hyde, Joe Brazel and Liam Noon combined time after time and caused the defence problem after problem. All three went close in the first half, with Brazel hitting the post, and having a shot cleared off the line, and Hyde nearly scoring from one of Noons fantastic corners.

George Hallam has really found his form recently and he also nearly sneaked a header in at the near post. Having dominated, and having gone close from some great football they finally took the lead from an unlikely source. It wasn’t the fact that Kerry scored it was how he scored. The ball was cleared up to the half-way line, and Kerry stepped in to send it high and long towards the goal. As it dropped, the keeper made a slight mis-judgement and the ball bounced over his head and into the net.

Castle Donington came more into the game and keeper Ben Jones had to be alert to keep the team in front. He could do nothing about the equaliser, when a ball was played up, and both defenders went for and missed the same ball. Jones just failed to get to the loose ball before the striker, who managed to find his team mate, who ran it into an empty net and it was 1-1 at half-time.

The second half was much the same as the first with Heanor on top. Will Antcliffe came on wide on the left, and showed some of the form which he was showing last season. He went close with shots three times, as did Hallam, who continued to cause havoc. Duncan Claxton came on in midfield, and then moved to defence and he also played his best game for weeks.

Jake Stepney played alongside Claxton at the back and was again impressive. The goal which saw Heanor go behind was similar to one last week. A free kick was hit with pace into the box, and Jones could do nothing as out hit a forward played and over the line.

Heanor did not give up, and it was reflective of their effort that the opposition keeper was far and away the man of the match, after fantastic saves from Noon, Antcliffe, Hyde and the best from a Claxton shot.

He could do nothing about the equaliser, as he could only parry a shot from just inside the box to the path of the on running Hallam, who cooly slipped the ball into the empty net for his second goal in two games.

When the whistle blew the Castle Donington coach knew that they had escaped with a point. Another great performance from all of the players involved. They should be really proud of their play and effort.

There is no game this week but the week after (April 1) will be a real test to see how much improvement there had been since the first weeks of the season with a game against league leaders Belper Sports.

Derby City League

Under-13sDivision 3

Stanton Ilkeston 2

Codnor Boys U13s 7

AFTER the previous week’s demolition of the same opposition, Codnor had to have the correct mentality in order to gain another valuable three points.

However, despite the final scoreline, Codnor’s first half display was not up there with their best.

After controlling the opening five minutes with some neat passages of play, Codnor were asleep at the back and Stanton took the lead.

Two minutes later it was 1-1, when Webster drove down the left and crossed low for Heappey to score at the back post.

On 14 minutes, Castle provided a lovely finish to a flowing move to give Codnor the lead, but minutes later it was 2-2 when poor marking again provided Stanton with a clear opportunity.

On the stroke of half-time, Heappey finished another good move instigated by Webster, to give Codnor a 3-2 advantage at the break.

The second half proved much more in Codnor’s favour, when within minutes of the restart Bradley finished from close range, before Webster scored the first of a quick double to make it 6-2 with 20 minutes to play.

Stanton then had a goal ruled out for offside, after Codnor dallied in clearing a ball, before Atkin rounded off the scoring when he made it 7-2.

Although it is sometimes difficult, Codnor have to learn how to play teams that they are expected to beat, as Stanton proved formidable opposition on the day, working notably harder than Codnor.

Man of the match: Josh Waldron (three more assists added to collection).