Youth Football review

editorial image

A SELECTION of match reports which have been submitted to us from the weekend of February 25/26.

Derby City League U13s (Sunday)

GAD Khalsa Sports 4

Codnor Boys 0

AFTER a 1-1 draw earlier in the season, hopes were high for a positive result, especially as it was Codnor’s last chance to force their way into the promotion race. Codnor gained control of the midfield early on, and the passing was sharp. Khalsa were left to rely on the long ball game, and on 19 mins it proved fruitful. In the centre of defence, Cooke misjudged a long ball and the Khalsa forward raced onto the ball, lifting it over the advancing keeper, 1-0. Almost immediately Atkin was played in, but dallied in taking the chance and the eventual shot hit the keeper. Codnor continued to dominate possession through to half-time. At half-time Codnor made a raft of substitutions, and made it clear that the work-rate and application was to continue. Unfortunately the instructions fell on deaf ears, and Khalsa extended their lead from a corner, after slack marking from Parr. Clark then allowed the Khalsa forward into the area for an easy finish, before more slack marking resulted in a 4th goal. The game finished 4-0 to GAD Khalsa, who thoroughly deserved the win. Whilst it was only Codnor’s 3rd defeat in 11 games, the result heaps plenty of importance on the remaining 5 fixtures, to ensure they finish as high as possible.

Man of the match: Joe Castle - showed determination in the tackle.

Heanor Juniors U10’s 1

Ashbourne Aztec Jaguars 0

AFTER weeks of bemoaning bad luck, this time Heanor were somewhat fortunate to have recorded their second win of the season.

It was a result that took Heanor off the bottom of the league for the very first time, as they leapfrogged Ashbourne.

Ashbourne had the better of the first half, hit the bar and had two efforts cleared off the line, but the effort and determination of the Heanor boys deserved their clean sheet.

Oliver Kerry had to come off after being hit in the face, he was replaced by the ever consistent River Fowkes.

When Ashbourne did get past them, they found Ben Jones in goal in good form, and he dominated his area to great effect

Lewis Searson battled up front but never really got the service from the midfield he needed.

The only goal came midway through the second half with Oliver Kerry turning sharply to fire home after a free kick came back off the wall.

Presidents Cup Competition

Ripley Rangers U10s 3

Kirkby CommunityU10s 0

RANGERS got back into action after the weather disruption with a comfortable win in a competition they were runners-up in last season.

Any fears that they would be rusty after the lay-off were unfounded after they were on the offensive immediatley ith the Kirkby keeper making good saves from Ben Hawkes and Jack Wood .

The pitch didnt have much grass but both teams tried to play football and Kirkby hit a post which Luke Goold in the Rangers goal pounced on.

Rangers moved up a gear and good work between Jack Wood and David Murray enabled Ben Hawkes to notch his first goal of the season with a smart finish inside the box.

The Kirkby keeper made further saves from Sam Long ,Jake Brandrick and Jack Hounslow before half-time which saw Rangers 1-0 in front.

At the start of the second half Rangers were again on the offensive with James Phillips having a shot saved at the near post .

A second breakthrough was made when Jake Brandrick made a run past three Kirkby players and slotted the ball under the on rushing keeper to score a great individual goal.

Kirkby to their credit kept going and two timely interceptions by Reece Askew kept them at bay add to this a full -ength save by Luke Goold from a freekick kept Rangers two-goal advantage.

Then came a great set-piece from Rangers Jack Hounslow took a short corner to Sam Long who returned the pass between them twice more then Jack Hounslow curled the ball with the outside of his boot into the far corner.

There was no way back for Kirkby after that. The goal cementing a great team display by Rangers.

Man of the match: Reece Askew.

President’s Cup

Mansfield Blades U10s 1

Ripley Rangers U10s 1

RIPLEY Rangers took a break from league action and gained in the President’s Cup.

Ranges began well with some neat football and Jake Brandrick had a chance well saved by the home keeper.

Jack Hounslow also went close before Luke Goold was called into action, diving to push a free kick around a post.

Jack Hounslow then had a free kick saved and half-time arrived goalless.

There were chances for both sides before Ripley took the lead when David Murray flicked on a Luke Goold goalkick and Sam Long coolly finished from six yards.

More chances came and went for Ripley before Mansfield equalised with two minutes left when a cruel deflection sent the ball spinning into the net for 1-1.

On another day Ripley would have left with a win but it wasnt to be despite the overall performance deserving more.

Man of match: Luke Goold.

Heanor Staffs U15s 1

Sherwin U15s 1

A GOAL six minutes from time denied Staffs a deserved victory.

After a goalless first half, Farren Packard put Heanor in front and then had what appeared to be a perfectly good goal disallowed before Sherwin netted a late equaliser.

Heanor Staffs U14s 5

Roe Farm U14s 6

With third-place playing fourth, Heanor slumped to a 4-1 half-time deficit before eventually going down 6-5.

Jordan Bonser got the first half goal for Staffs with Jamie Harrison adding two before Bonser notched two more for a hat-trick

It was all in vain though as Roe Farm netted a late winner.