Youth Football review

editorial image

CATCH up with the local youth scene from reports submitted to us from the weekend of February 18/19.

Heanor Staffs U15s 5

Mickleover 95 U15s 2

AFTER a three-week break due to the bad weather, the Staffs began slowly and Mickleover went ahead in the last ten minutes of the first half to take an interval lead.

A stern talk by coach Clive Buxton gave Staffs the wake-up call they needed and they equalised through Adam Wright before taking the lead with a belter from Jack Sweet.

Adam Baldwin made it 3-1 and then bagged his second of the game after beating three players.

Farren Pickard was then adjudged to have conceded a penalty but this was saved by Lewis Buxton.

With a few minutes left, Oliver Naylor scored to wrap up a 5-2 win.

Special mention goes to the Heanor Staffs defence of Thomas Leis-Hood, Kadey Stevenson-Steele, Adam Wright and Jamie Wilcoxson who all had brilliant games.

Riverside Royals 2

Heanor Juniors 4

After over a month without a game Heanor came against up a Riverside Royals team on the same points but above the Juniors in the league and a game in hand, with both teams wanting the three points.

Heanor began the better and put pressure on Royals and the Juniors quickly found out their pace, passing ability and team play could break down the Riverside defence.

After winning the ball in midfield, Luke Miles played a perfectly-weighted through-ball to Ryan Seale who took it in his stride and drove the ball past the Royals keeper only to see Cole Fell-Meakin slide the ball into the goal.

Heanor continued to dominate and soon got another goal, Bradley Sharp’s corenr seeing Seale rise at the front post to easily head home.

Nathan Stone had only a few catches to make due to the Juniors defence in front of him who kept the Royals chances to a minimum.

George Bloor battled hard in midfield, throwing himself into every challenge and getting a knock which forced him off. Kieran Brunelleschi replaced him and the Heanor midfield was now outplaying the opposition with Liam Whysall’s pace and ability on the ball proving more than RR could handle.

After a long ball through from Fell-Meakin, Sharp and Miles pressured the Riverside keeper who dropped the ball and Miles struck it into the roof of the net for a 3-0 half-time lead.

The second half saw Heanor continue in the same vein, forging for more goals.

A fourth goal soon came. After Miles won a throw, Seale quickly found Stone who controlled, turned and hit a low fast shot past the Royals keeper and defence.

Rhys Charlton worked hard to keep Riverside out and Tom Vallens did an excellent job at left back.

Stand -n keeper Brown did well in goal, made some good saves but eventually Riverside got into the game and pulled two goals back.

However, it was all too little and too late and Heanor ran the clock down to get the three points.

Man of the match: Tom Vallens.

Heanor Juniors U10 1 Duffield Dynamos Hawks 2

On a cold and sunny morning, Heanor Juniors went in search of their second win of the season against a Duffield side that had beaten them comprehensively before Christmas. The early signs were promising, as good passing play led to shots from Jordan Hyde and Ben Jones going close. Jake Stepney in the Heanor goal was rarely troubled and was protected well by defensive duo Jake Ellis and River Fowkes, together with Duncan Claxton who worked hard to close down in midfield, even managing a tackle when on the ground to prevent a shot. Five minutes from half time, a quick Heanor break saw Jordan Hyde’s shot cleared off the line by a Duffield defender, only for Will Antcliffe to coolly put in the rebound to give them a lead they thoroughly deserved. They kept their concentration and work rate through to half time to lead 1-0 at the break.

Second half substitutions brought a change in tempo to the game, and Heanor soon found themselves on the back foot. With Jordan Price tackling and blocking everything, and Oliver Kerry carrying on where Duncan had left off in midfield, Duffield were mostly limited to long range shots and crosses. However, from one Duffield free kick, River Fowkes had to make a fantastic goal line clearance to keep Heanor ahead

At the other end, Heanor struggled to fashion clear cut chances of their own with George Hallam often finding himself isolated against three defenders.

With ten minutes left, a Duffield cross was cruelly turned into his own net by Oliver Kerry, who could do nothing to prevent it.

Duffield sensed a win, and only a few minutes later, a magnificent shot from outside the penalty area flew into the top corner. It was a goal worthy of winning any game and was unstoppable.

Despite trying valiantly to get back into the game, the closest Heanor came was when Jordan Hyde’s deflected shot flew over the bar.

Yet another Sunday goes by when Heanor’s hard work and endeavour goes unrewarded. However, all the players should be rightly proud of themselves for their performance, and should look forward to the next game with renewed confidence. The second win cannot be far away!

Derby Mini Soccer U9s Group 2

Codnor Boys 3

New Boulton Athletic 1

CODNOR came from behind to secure a battling victory and stay second in the league.

In their first game for three weeks, Codnor began lethargically and were soon a goal behind as an Athletic corner was deflected into their own net off two home players.

Codnor struggled to get into the game until an inspired substitution from manager Paul McCracken changed the game.

Bradley Pearson and Ben Greaves were introduced and it was Pearson who equalised for Codnor after his first shot had been blocked.

Codnor went in front when Tanaka Muchechesi had a shot deflected into Ben Richards path and he finished neatly.

In the second half Codnor were awarded a penalty as James Dean was bundled over. Unfortunately Bradley Pearson’s penalty kick was well saved but Codnor were not to be denied and James Dean popped up to notch his customary goal.

New Boulton didn’t give up and it took some resolute defending to protect Codnor’s lead.

Ripley Rangers FC U12s 2

Sinfin Sharks U12s 4

Rangers were quick out of the blocks and the first ten minutes saw them take control in midfield, knocking the ball around nicely with Jack Bowler making some good runs down the right wing.

He had good supportfrom Danny Bain and Sam Clifton, who both managed to keep the ball on the ground with some good passing. At the back the Rangers defence seemed to be in control too with George O’Neill and Ben Rose dominating, however the first chance of the game came the Sharks’ way when Rose caught the heels of one of their strikers in the box resulting in a penalty. Sam Linford in goal guessed the right way but wasn’t required as the ball flew wide of the post. Soon after, Rangers took the lead when some nice play by Chester Norman saw him bring the ball out of defence and play a nice pass to Bain. The Rangers captain managed to get a quick pass off to Joe Martin who took one touch and let fly from outside the box. The ball flew into the far corner of the net to give Rangers the lead and was fully deserved. The rest of the first half was played out at a fast pace with Rangers looking the more likely to score again. The second half started much as the first finished with Rangers pressing forwards and they were unlucky when a good pass from Luke Jaques found Luke Gee who coolly slotted the ball home, only to see the offside flag raised. This seemed to bring Sinfin to life and incredibly they scored four quick-fire goals in the space of 15 minutes to take a 4-1 lead. A great strike from a direct free kick was perhaps their best goal but they were all scored from some great passing and moving at a time when Rangers seemed to lose concentration. This 15-minute spell was a devastating blow to Rangers who had looked comfortable up until that point. The one lesson to be learnt by the midfield and defence was to be aware of players running past them or making good runs in behind. On each occasion the Sinfin strikers were deadly in their finishing, giving Linford no chance. To their credit, Rangers did not give up and they kept going and were rewarded with a consolation second goal when more good work by Jack Bowler, now on the left wing, created a chance for Danny Bain to hit a ball from the edge of the box into the far top corner. It was a sweet strike and fully deserved. The final whistle soon blew with Rangers left scratching their heads wondering what might have been if it wasn’t for 15 crazy second half minutes. Man of the match: George O’Neill Match sponsor: Stringfellows Trade Outlet, Nottingham Road, Ripley.