Youth football review

Derby City League U15s

Heanor Juniors U15s 5

Mayfield Panthers U15s 1

HEANOR completed the double over their opponents with a good performance at the Town ground.

On a wet pitch and playing into the wind, Heanor tried to continue with their passing game by keeping the ball on the ground.

Heanor took the lead after 15 mins when Dale Wood went on the overlap down the right to set up Ottowell who scored easily.

Heanor were comfortable with this score against the wind as Alex March and Isaac Thawley controlled the midfield.

In the second half, Heanor continued to have the upper hand and scored again when Ottowell made a great run down the left wing to cross for Andy Soar to tap in at the far post.

The football flowed now although Mayfield to their credit kept battling and created a few half chances but Reece Humphries in Heanor’s goal looked confident.

A great move involving James Parkin, Charlie Ottowell and Jack Sweet ended with Sweet slotting the ball past the keeper to make it 3-0 before the outstanding Ottowell scored again after more good work from Parkin.

Against the run of play a long ball found Haywood who shot past Liam Foster to give Mayfield a goal they deserved for their efforts.

As Heanor rang the changes substitute Adam Taylor cut inside to delightfully lob the keeper for Heanors fifth .

This was a superb all round performance from Heanor Juniors who are starting to find their feet as they look forward to some difficult games ahead, starting with Belper Town away this Sunday.

Players meet Tesco Car Park, Heanor at 9.15am,

Heanor Juniors man of the match, Charlie Ottowell

Heanor Juniors U14s 2

Borrowash Vics Juniors U14s 4

A strong wind made this game a tough one which saw Heanor fall to defeat despite having more possession and chances on goal.

Ryan Seale opened the scoring for Heanor from 20 yards after a determined run by Cole Fell-Meakin from midfield.

Fell-Meakin went close several times and Seale hit the bar and following up Fell-Meakin heading over and with the Vics keeper doing a superb job holding onto everything heading towards goal.

Borrowash shocked Heanor by scoring three scrappy goals quickly against the stand-in keeper Luke Miles before half-time.

Heanor attacked relentlesly to try and force a clear cut chance but it didn’t come with the Vics defence and keeper holding on.

Borrowash then made it four, lobbing Declan Brown who had taken over in goal.

Heanor got a goal back after a good break by Bradley Sharpe and a well timed pass from midfield and Sharpe placing it calmly past the Vics keeper.

Despite Heanor pushing strongly to the end, Borrowash ended up with the points.

Man of the match: Cole Fell-Meakin, his determination led to the first goal and he never stopped trying throughout the game.

Heanor Juniors U11s 3

Cobra Oakwood U11s 3

After a cup defeat the previous week, Heanor were back to league action and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The previous two encounters had resulted in one win for each side and the team were looking to get back to winning ways to consolidate their second place in the table.

However, Heanor lined up for the start of the game with a severley depleted squad with three players absent through illness or injury making team selection very easy for the manager.

Both teams started brightly in very windy conditions which made it difficult for them to control the ball.

It was Heanor who grabbed the lead with a well taken goal from Jared Smith.

Cobra hit back in search of an equaliser but the Heanor defence remained strong and alert.

Eventually the Oakwood pressure was rewarded and they struck twice to go into the half time break with a 2-1 lead.

After the interval Heanor pushed forward strongly and they were rewarded when Jared Smith fired home the equaliser with a great strike from the edge of the penalty area.

The match was finely balanced but it was Heanor who took the lead when a shot from Alex Wright was nodded home by Emily Seale for her first goal of the season.

As Heanor tired, their lack of players began to tell as there were no substitutes available to provide fresh legs and with seconds remaining Cobra grabbed a goal to share the points.

It had been a valiant effort by all the players and the draw keeps Heanor in second spot behind runaway leaders Borrowash.

Ashbourne Aztecs U10s 1

Heanor Juniors U10s 1

Heanor under 10’s finally got off the mark after coming away from a windy Racecourse with a 1-1 draw in this bottom-of-the table clash.

A win would have taken them off the bottom above their rivals, and on reflection that probably should have been the outcome.

Although they again played with passion and showed lots of desire and effort, an inability to turn their superior possession into shots, and ultimately goals cost them that elusive first win.

Jake Stepney started in goal, and was rarely troubled, but when he was, he dealt with things in a confident and assured manner, when Ashbourne managed to find a way past Jake Ellis and River Fowkes.

Most of Heanor’s chances in the first half were shots from outside the box, and Jordan Hyde, Liam Noon and George Hallam all went close, but couldn’t direct their shots on target. Joe Brazel worked tirelessly down the right wing, and did a lot of good work for the team.

The boys in white felt a little hard done to when they found themselves a goal down. An Aztec player made a good run through the middle, but unfortunately trod on the ball which was adjudged to have been a foul.

The resultant free kick was played into the box, and ended up being forced past Stepney.

Playing with the wind in the second half didn’t seem to be an advantage for the first few minutes, as Heanor struggled to impose themselves.

The re-introduction of Hyde, playing in midfield with Noon and Ben Jones seemed to spark them into life.

Hyde went close when he burst into the box, but couldn’t direct his shot on target.

Oliver Kerry saw his effort bounce back of the post and into the keepers arms. It was Hyde who finally forced the equaliser, when he again burst into the box and hit the back of the net.

This week’s game is against Duffield Dynamos.

Derby Mini Soccer

Under 9s, Group 2

Codnor Boys 5

Derwent 0

CODNOR returned to winning ways with an emphatic win as they blew Derwent away.

The racecourse ground was cold and windy and Codnor had Bradley Pearson out with a broken wrist.

However, Liam Shelton climbed out of his sick bed to return.

The opening stages were very even and it took Codnor 15 minutes to break through.

James Dean finished a move involving Ben Greaves and Ben Richards.

Soon afterwards James Dean scored his second - a fine left footed finish into the corner.

On the stroke of half time Ben Richards scored a deserved goal from a Ben Greaves pass.

With the score 3-0 at half time, Colby O’Hare was replaced in goal by the Liam Shelton who was still under the weather.


James Dean completed his hat-trick having been put through by Noah Wright’s long throw.

Colby O’Hare twice came close to scoring and Lewis Walker was also unlucky.

With time running out Codnor got their fifth - Noah Wright toe-poking home from a Tanaka Muchechesi corner.

The score flattered Codnor a little but they took their chances and gave little away.

Codnor now move up to second in the table behind runaway leaders Field Lane.

Heanor Staffs U14s 1

ADASC U14s 3

STAFFS knew this would be a tough match with first place playing third and so it proved eventually.

After a slow start by both teams, ADASC were the first to score just before half-time.

The visitors added two more goals in the second half before Ryan Handley pulled one back for Heanor.

Tansley 1

Heanor Staffs U15s 0

This was a tough game for both sides with a strong wind affecting play.