Youth football

Swanwick Pentrich Road U15s 6

Mansfield Athletic 0

SWANWICK began the first match of the season with a 6-0 home win after a good, solid performance from the squad.

Both teams needed time to get used to the blustery conditions but Swanwick kept the ball down and deservedly took the lead after some good passing football.

The Swanwick players then began to gain some momentum and soon added a second.

Mansfield started to get back into the game and were unlucky not to score but further goals from the Swanwick lads ended any chance of a come back.

Swanwick’s goalscorers were Liam Minkley, Jono Hunt (2), Connor Kerry (2) and Danny Fields.

Man of the match: Connor Kerry.

Match sponsor: IDS Tool Hire.

Derby City League, Division Three

Codnor Boys U13s 2

Sinfin Sharks 4

CODNOR’S first game of the season arrived with promotion hopes high, but ended with a 4-2 defeat against a good Sinfin side.

Codnor began the game slightly flat, and the passing was not the best but they managed to take the lead after ten minutes when Atkin took a quick throw-in and Parr looped a cross-shot over everyone into the far corner.

Sinfin hit straight back and a long ball over the top allowed the centre forward to race clear and finish well.

Minutes later Codnor found themselves 2-1 down to a great long range effort.

The Boys equalised on 25 minutes when Webster broke clear down the right and drove in a shot acros the keeper which was well saved but Atkin was on hand to finish from close range.

Having clawed their way back into the match Codnor then committed defensive suicide with poor marking.

A finish from close range was followed by a carbon copy of the first goal, to allow Sinfin to go in 4-2 up at the break.

The second half was a completely different story with the majority of it being played in the Sinfin half.

Codnor played the ball around well, but with chances spurned, the crucial next goal could not be found.

Man of the match: William Nolan for some first class defending.

Heanor Juniors U16s 0

Castle Donington 4

HEANOR Juniors U16s lost their opening game to a very good Donington side.

Heanor were under strength due to injuries and unavailability but gave a great battling display.

Heanor coach Rich Bell was happy with the effort and is positive that with a few players returning and a couple of signings they will be ok this season.

Pinxton U15s 5

Heanor Juniors U15s 4

Heanor U15s had a tough test in their first game of the season up against title favourites Pinxton.

Heanor surprised their opponents by taking the game to them and took the lead when Charlie Ottowell scored after nine minutes.

Pinxton responded and a long ball over the top led to the equaliser.

Heanor scored two more through Andy Soar and a long range effort from Jamie Shelton but some poor defending led to a Pinxton goal just before half-time.

Pinxton were on top at the start of the second half but Heanor rode their luck and increased their lead when Andy Soar scored again.

Heanor’s luck ran out as keeper Reece Humphries, defender Matt Ydibli and playmaker Isaac Thawley all had to leave the field injured.

Heanor’s reshuffled team battled well but Pinxton used the long ball to their advantage and scored twice to make it 4-4 before a last minute goal sealed Heanor’s fate.

Heanor put in a great first half display and things are looking good for a successful season after this display.

Heanor Juniors U12s 0

Littleover Villa U12s 3

Heanor were at home for their first league game of the new season against a team who came with a very good reputation .

It was a solid start for the home side and new boys on their debut Cameron Parker, Jake Taylor and Alex Barker all settled well into the game.

However,Littleover also looked threatening and the speed of the visitors on the break looked to be their main threat and they broke the deadlock with a breakaway despite a hint of offside about the goal.

Heanor responded well and were unfortunate not to go in level at half-time, Taylor Mellors bringing a superb save out of the visiting keeper.

The second half was much the same as the first with both teams testing each other and but for two fantastic saves from Arran Ludlam in the Heanor goal Littleover could have doubled their lead.

Both teams gave everything and a crunching tackle from Kai Varley typified the effort and commitment of an entertaining game.

Henry Bilbey and Charlie Jordan came on for Heanor both contributing well to try and find a equaliser, however, as the home side pushed up, gaps were left and unfortunately Littleover exposed this and ran in two further goals in the last five minutes to give the scoreline a rather flattering look for the visitors to what was a very even fought contest.

This was a very good display by the Heanor boys if they are to carry on there season with this commitment and effort will find themselves winning many games.