Young reserves side suffers a 4-1 defeat

Heanor Town Reserves lost 4-1 at home to Rainworth MW Reserves in the Central Midlands League Reserve Supreme Division, writes Stan Wilton.

In keeping with the rest of football, the game kicked off at 3.07pm and a minute of silence was held in memory of the 96 people who lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster 25 years ago.

Rainworth came back from a goal down to complete a 4-1 double over a Heanor side without four players on first team duty, to return to the top of the table.

Heanor drafted in six of the Under 19s side and were much changed from the team which won 3-2 at Holbrook in midweek.

The Lions made a bright start and were ahead in under five minutes when Adam Nicholls fired home a free kick from just outside the area.

Rainworth hit back immediately and Cherry made a very smart save from Green’s shot after a wind-assisted punt down the middle bounced over Jake Davis.

The visitors levelled on 18 minutes when Sam Dockwray slipped past two defenders and fired a cross shot into the bottom corner.

Daniel three times strayed beyond the line and offside held up Heanor’s efforts to hit back. But Dockwray put the Wrens in front with a tap-in following York’s cross from the left had seen two close range shots blocked.

Jamie York should have increased the Wrens lead three minutes after the break when Curzon set him up in front of goal but he put his shot out of the ground.

The game was virtually put beyond Heanor’s reach in the 66th minute when referee Gary Smith had a long hard look before what appeared to be correctly awarding a penalty which skipper Jordan Harris tucked away emphatically for the visitors.

It was followed by Liam Green firing over the bar as Rainworth began to dominate proceedings.

Heanor couldn’t get the ball, and when they did they couldn’t keep it.

Rainworth had just too much experience for the young Heanor side.

There was 11 minutes left when Cherry again confidently pushed away a Dockwray header from a free kick.

Adam Nicholls did have the ball in the net for Heanor but offside prevailed, but there was no hectic finish, and Jamie York flicked home a cross from substitute Liam Theakstone almost three minutes into stoppage time to complete the scoring.

TEAM: Ross CHERRY, Mitch DRING, Tyler FITCHETT, Danny BONSALL, Jake DAVIS (captain), Adam BARRETT, Alan HORTON (Callum HOOD 71 minutes), Aaron DAILEY (Jack SMITH 81 minutes), Anton DANIEL, Adam NICHOLLS, Matt GEEVES (Danny NEWMAN at half time). Substitutes not used – Jacob WARD, Luke HODGKINSON.