Wilding simply four-some against league champions

editorial image

Guy Wilding had a day to remember for Swanwick Pentrich Road against the CMFL South champions Selston on Saturday.

Wilding scored all four for an injury-hit Swans in a 4-4 draw.

Malc Owen’s side rolled up their sleeves once more and proved why one should never underestimate the power of persistence.

His opposite number Craig Weston had clearly sent his Selston side out with the purpose of dominating play and it wasn’t too long before the visitors were ahead.

Wayne Cook broke free in the Swanwick area and was adjudged to have been brought down, resulting in a penalty that was scored by Ben Moore.

Swanwick did have a foothold in the game, mainly relying on Andy White to hold the ball up and wait for the oncoming support from midfield.

With the Swan’s gaining momentum, a moment of madness from goalkeeper Adam Jablonski let Sean Gregory nick the ball and double Selston’s lead.

After the interval, Josh Smith was moved into midfield in a bid to stifle Selston. It had an immediate impact when Smith rattled the post from 25 yards.

With 50 minutes on the clock, Wilding managed to worm his way in front of the Selston keeper and poke the ball home for his first.

Selston showed their attacking menace though and Joe Riley latched on to a cross from Widdowson to give the champions a two goal advantage.

This goal was soon followed up by yet another for the visitors. When Widdowson was provider again, this time finding the feet of Henshaw in the six yard box.

Even with just one minute on the clock and three goals behind, the Swan’s never let their effort levels drop.

This was to pay dividends when a counter attack was rewarded with a free-kick - Wilding curling it into the top corner.

Selston have been tremendous all season but seemed to let their guard down. Shortly after Henshaw’s handball in the area was followed by a penalty. Wilding made no mistake in converting to give the Swan’s a glimmer of hope with one minute left.

Straight from the kick-off, Wilding was set free and just as he was yet to unleash one last ditch shot, he was bundled to the ground by the now tiring Selston defence.

There could only be one man to step up to take the free-kick and with a carbon copy of his second goal, Wilding scored. Celebrations were had by all, none more so than Adam Jablonski who ran the full length of the field to grapple Wilding.

Selston will feel bitterly disappointed to have not sealed all three points, but for the Swans this was a well-earned point.