Unders 14s back in league action

Little Eaton Diamonds 2

Heanor Town Juniors Under 14s 2

Heanor got their stop-start league campaign back underway with a hard fought draw against the team that only finished one place below them last season on goal difference.

Sharpe and Robinson started together in attack for the first time this season, and Heanor welcomed back George Moore, who last played for Juniors in the 2010-11 season.

It was a poor start by Heanor, with three breakaways coming from Diamonds in the first five minutes due to sloppy play, and it was only poor finishing that stopped them taking an early lead.

Heanor got it together and at least looked like they were challenging, but there was an early set back when left back Britt came off injured. This brought a total re-shuffle of the team with Hutsby being brought on up front to play with Sharpe.

Diamonds were applying most of the pressure but Heanor defence were holding strong, particularly Parker, now playing at left back.

Serious Heanor attacks were few and far between, but when Cumberland met a clearance on the edge of the Diamonds’ box, he finished well to give Heanor a 1-0 lead.

The lead gave Heanor a lift. It wasn’t long before Heanor were 2-0 up. Spicer offered the ball to Sharpe who beat his defender into the box and did a clever chip to finish well past the goalkeeper.

However, Diamonds weren’t finished and did pressure Heanor to get back into the game.

On the stroke of half-time, Heanor conceded to let Diamonds back in it. Their pacy frontman managed to turn Parker on the edge of the area and he was left with only Ludlam to beat and he finished well.

Second half was much of the same with exchanges at both ends. Hutsby was chasing everything he could up front and Sharpe wasn’t giving the defenders a minute.

However, a move down the right by Diamonds allowed their right midfielder to outpace Peacock and he passed a low ball into the path of his forward to slot home for the equaliser.

This was a blow for Heanor who had thrown away a two-goallead, but on the balance of the game, it was a fair result.

There was one last chance for Heanor to win it at the death, when Sharpe broke free in the middle of the park and his physical presence enabled him to run through the Diamonds defence but his finish was pushed wide. Two further corners were dealt with by Diamonds and the referee blew for full-time.

This was a workmanlike performance from Heanor, who, if they can start quicker and play with more conviction, should still be a force to be reckoned with this season.

Man of the match – Cameron Parker.