Swanwick PR cause upset in Derbyshire County Cup

editorial image

A late goal from inform striker Guy Wilding saw Swanwick progress past higher ranked opposition Graham St Prims 2-1 in the Derbyshire County Cup.

For the first time this season Swanwick were able to name an unchanged starting XI and had great strength with three returning players on the bench.

Talk before the game was focussing on Swans continuing their good form to see off Graham Street Prims who compete in East Midlands Counties League.

Playing up the slope in the first half, Swanwick were instantly looking to play their attractive, free flowing football from the off but the first ten minutes were evenly matched with both teams closing down quickly and looking to prevent opposition attacks.

As they have done well in recent weeks, Swanwick looked to work the ball into wide areas to allow service into their strikers.

Prims were looking to play the ball forward early to a strong target man and build attacks from there picking up loose balls.

After 25 minutes, Prims broke down the left and managed to create a two on one scenario. After a low deflected cross and a short game of pinball in the Swanwick box, the prims striker managed to fire home past a static backline.

Many would have thought against higher ranked opposition, the Swans would crumble but to the contrary they began to find more precision and were able to test the Prims stopper regularly.

The ‘keeper made three excellent single handed saves and after some excellent footwork from midfield maestro Chris Turner only the crossbar prevented a deserved equaliser.

As half-time approached Swans continued to attack with variety and on 44 minutes their effort and drive payed off.

A well worked throw in from the left allowed Turner again to find space and, after playing a neat one-two with Shane Buckerfield, he found himself with space 15 yards from goal.

A well struck shot low to the ‘keepers left was enough to draw the sides level despite the goalkeeper almost saving miraculously.

Swanwick more than deserved their equalising goal and went into the interval the more positive of the sides.

As the second half began Swanwick continued to work the ball neatly towards the Prims goal but could not find the finishing touch.

As the game developed and changes were made to both teams, the Prims backline looked less and less confident with great movement and anticipation from Wilding winning the Swans a penalty after 75 minutes.

Shane Buckerfield stepped up and following more great work from the Prims’ ‘keeper, the Swanwick hit man just missed the target.

Closely following the entrance of Ash Buxton, his tenacity and physical presence drew another mistake from the Prims backline with their centre back getting caught the wrong side before wrestling Buxton to the ground when clear on goal.

Having already been booked the referee had no choice but to dismiss the defender, giving Swans a numerical advantage. From the resulting free kick, a thunderous drive from Jamie Slater was kept out and caught by the inform Prims ‘keeper once more.

As most spectators were preparing for the prospect of extra-time there was one more twist to the tale.

Following a shot from outside the area and a ricochet into his path Wilding found himself 15 yards out with only the keeper to beat.

He coolly converted and amidst wild protests from Prims players and officials looking for a handball in the build-up.

This Saturday sees Swans travel the short distance to face Selston with a kick off at 3pm.