Season ends for the Lions with defeat at Barton Town Old Boys

Josh Raven, Heanor Town FC''Photo by Paul Morley
Josh Raven, Heanor Town FC''Photo by Paul Morley
Share this article

The curtain finally came down on Heanor Town’s entertaining Northern Counties East League Premier Division season on Saturday.

A final-day 4-0 defeat at Barton Town Old Boys means that the Lions finished in a very creditable eighth position at the end of Glen Clarence’s first season at the helm.

The third-placed home side made the most of the chances they created on Saturday, while the Lions were left to rue their wastefulness in front of goal, although in a season where they have scored an incredible 113 league goals, this has not usually been a problem.

The Lions had their opportunities to take the lead in the first half but were made to pay by Barton Town Old Boys when Scott Phillips put the home side in front ten minutes before the break.

Just two minutes later, Gareth Barlow was on hand to make it 2-0 and the Lions were suddenly up against it.

There were no further goals until 15 minutes from time when Gareth Owen got in on the act and there was time just before the end for Barlow to grab his second of the afternoon and make the final score 4-0.

And so the Lions finish in eighth position, with 77 points accrued from their 44 games, which consisted of 24 wins, five draws and 15 losses.

They scored 113 goals, 56 of which were at home and 57 away, surely one of the reasons behind the increase in crowds at the Town Ground this season.

Kieran Debrouwer was comfortably the top scorer in the league with 43 goals, plus another 13 in cup competitions, a superb achievement for the popular player, while Nathan Benger, who moved back to the club mid-season from Mickleover Sports, hit 20.

Debrouwer’s amazing goalscoring exploits included tenhat-tricks, including four triples in the space of just five games in September and October, and two occasions where he scored four in a match.

The Lions scored four or more goals on 20 occasions during the season, including two matches where they scored eight and one where they scored nine.

As well as the league campaign, they made it through to the semi-finals of both the league cup and also the Derbyshire Senior Cup.