Reserves back in league action with 4-1 defeat

Heanor Town Reserves returned to CML Reserve Supreme Division action on Saturday for the first time since November 30, writes Stan Wilton.

They played Dunkirk Reserves, coincidentally the same opposition as their last game, but sadly for Heanor, Dunkirk were 4-1 victors, inflicting the first home defeat of the season in the league.

James Riley was absent, Kieran James and Nick Grainger unavailable and Jake Davis and Ross Cherry on first team duty leaving Dave Barber and Adam Bamford with a major reshuffle.

Sean Pickworth helped out in goal and was involved in the first ten minutes, twice saving from Duik and Barton

Marshall was tripped on 12 minutes but Duerden’s shot simply was headed straight to the keeper.

Liam Barber and Andreas Kokkinou did fantastic breaking from their own defence, but Dudley thwarted Kokkinou, smothering the ball at the last second.

On 40 minutes, after Heanor lost possession Anton Wadderburn found space and from 20 yards lofted the ball over Pickworth for a 1-0 lead.

Worse was to come on the stroke of half-time when from a corner a loose ball in the six-yard box was pounced on by Warren Howard for a 2-0 lead.

After some harsh words by the management, it was unfortunate that Dunkirk increased their lead after Fitchett was caught in possession on the halfway line. Dunkirk broke quickly and Duik finished comfortably.

Heanor came to life in a 20-minute spell with Lightly and Crossley excelling, but despite their efforts the final ball was lacking.

Kokkinou made way for Alan Horton to make his debut on 55 minutes and Crossley made an excellent last ditch tackle to keep the score down.

Lightly pulled a goal back after good work by Marshall fed in Lightly to outpace his marker and bravely steer the ball into the bottom corner.

Barber and Lightly linked up brilliantly with Lightly crossing, only to see Jack Smith head over the bar from a great position.

Crossley dribbled past three defenders, only to be tripped on the edge of the box, with no action from the official on the offending defender.

Fitchett had to be replaced by Dring on 80 minutes after taking a blow and Smith made way for Stelmach on 83 minutes.

Dunkirk made sure of victory on 87 minutes after Duik fired home another loose ball in the box.

Heanor Town Reserves: Sean Pickworth, Danny Bonsall, Alex Crossley (captain), Tyler Fitchett, Liam Barber, Andreas Kokkinou, Aaron Dailey, Jak Lightly, Alex Marshall, Jack Smith, Luke Duerden.

Substitutes: Alan Horton (55 Kokkinou), Mitch Dring (80 Fitchett), Krystian Stelmach (83 Smith)