Reds back to winning ways

Alfreton Town pulled off a surprise win at Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday to regain sixth spot in the Skrill Premier, just hours after rushing to sign goalkeeper Jon Worsnop on a one-match basis from FC United Manchester with Ross Atkins injured.

In an effort to turn the tide of four straight defeats without scoring, manager Nicky Law fielded a largely defensive line-up at Aggborough with John Akinde the lone frontrunner, and despite the lack of goals stretching to a worrying 484 minutes Alfreton overcame a half-time deficit with Michael Wylde claiming his first two goals for the club.

Kidderminster started the game positively with Joe Lolley firing just wide in the fourth minute from 15 yards following a useful cross from Michael Gash, then two minutes later Lolley curled a deflected shot beyond the back post from a Lee Fowler pass with Worsnop fisting clear the ensuing corner.

Alfreton failed to prevent Morgan-Smith from breaking free in the 17th minute and his pace allowed Callum Gittings to sweep the ball in from just inside the area.Worsnop smothered the ball at Lolley’s feet as the striker threatened again in the 24th minute, then in a rare Reds’ attack Tom Shaw fired over from 25 yards against his former club, then in the latter stages of the first half Worsnop forced Lolley wide when clear and the danger was averted.

Chris Westwood had been replaced at half-time by Daniel Meadows following a calf niggle, but the change was as instrumental as anything in bringing about Alfreton’s resurgence.

However, the first chance of the second half was squandered by the hosts when Mickey Demetriou hooked wide from a deep Danny Jackman cross, but Alfreton were able to draw level on 52 minutes following a mix-up between defender Chey Dunkley and keeper Danny Lewis.

The alert Akinde latched on to Dunkley’s weak back-header to force the ball across the edge of the six-yard box for Wylde to stroke home right in front of the Alfreton fans.

Alfreton edged ahead in the 68th minute moments after former Ilkeston striker Morgan-Smith had been sent off for a second bookable offence, Lathaniel Rowe-Turner taking the free-kick on the halfway line before Shaw’s shot was turned in by Wylde again from six yards.

It was Akinde who deservedly settled the issue 90 seconds from time after Lewis had upended him as he advanced, stroking the resultant penalty low into the corner.