Narrow defeat for oh so unlucky Reds

Blue Square Bet Premier

Barrow AFC 1

Alfreton Town 0

ALFRETON Town put in another battling performance in deepest Cumbria on Tuesday night without having anything to show for their endeavours.

A solitary goal in the tenth minute settled the outcome of the game, which was ruined by a howling gale as the Reds once again indicated that survival in the Blue Square Bet Premier was still very much achievable

With three minutes gone and the wind firmly behind their backs, Nathan Arnold won the first of Alfreton’s 13 corners with a shot that was diverted behind by Paul Smith.

Then on eight minutes Jake Moult unleashed a 20 yard thunderbolt that clipped Barrow defender Danny Hone and was heading for the bottom corner of the net when keeper Shaun Pearson pulled off a tremendous reaction save.

When Moult swung the corner in the ball clipped the outside of the post, but two minutes later the hosts were ahead after Reds’ keeper Joe Day could only parry an effort from Richie Baker and Andy Cook followed up to net from eight yards after Theo Streete slipped in trying to clear.

Day made a good save in the 20th minute from a Cook volley from an Adam Boyes pass, then the wind scuppered a promising Reds’ move with Moult’s shot taking flight and soaring high and wide after being set up by Paul Clayton.

Moult’s drive from the left was held by Pearson, then two minutes before half-time Anthony Wilson headed against the outside of the upright from another Moult corner.

A good block by Hone halted Clayton’s progress as he skipped through a rather static Barrow rearguard, then a curling drive by Moult won the Reds’ seventh corner of the opening 45 minutes.Alfreton adapted to the conditions much better after the interval and did more than enough to warrant at the very least a share of the spoils, but once again found no reward.

Greg Young was well off target with a header from Moult’s 53rd minute free-kick, then after Arnold had combined with Wilson an angled drive by Rob Eagle needed a late save by Pearson.

The woodwork saved Barrow twice in the 57th minute and then 60 seconds later as first of all Moult struck the upright from wide right, then Clayton’s header deflected off a defender and on to the post as Moult’s cross caused confusion in the box.

Baker’s header only just evaded Day’s crossbar in the 63rd minute, then an Andy Ferrell shot was blocked by Young and Day caught a swirling Smith cross under pressure from Cook.

As the Reds once again stepped up the pace Chris Senior’s 85th minute shot was blocked on the line by Baker after Young had nodded down yet another Moult corner.

Then in the third minute of added time Connor Franklin, Arnold and Nathan Jarman were involved in setting up Theo Streete for a chip that Pearson stretched to save, and from the corner Arnold thought his powerful header had earned an equaliser until Pearson again pulled off an incredible save.

Match stats

Barrow AFC: Pearson, Bolland (Nicholas 35), Hone, Skelton, Rutherford, Baker, Ferrell, Smith, Rowe (Mackreth 56), Cook, Boyes. Subs not used: Lomax, Owen, Almond.

Alfreton Town: Joe Day

Connor Franklin, Theo Streete, Greg Young, Adam Quinn, Jake Moult, Anthony Church, Rob Eagle (Josh Law 79), Paul Clayton (Chris Senior 68), Nathan Arnold, Anthony wilson (Nathan Jarman 79).

Substitutes not used: Leigh Franks, Anton Brown

Referee: Jeremy Simpson of Lancaster .

Goal: Barrow AFC - Andy Cook 10 minutes

Booked: Alfreton Town - Greg Young (63, foul on Cook)

Attendance: 963

Reds man of the match: Jake Moult.

Next in action

Saturday, December 3 - Blue Square Bet Premier - Southport v ALFRETON TOWN, 3;pm.

Tuesday, December 6 - Blue Square Bet Premier - ALFRETON TOWN v Newport County, 7.45pm.