Lions out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle as Retford prevail

Heanor's Gerry Moran (in red) battles against Retford. Photo by Jon Knight.
Heanor's Gerry Moran (in red) battles against Retford. Photo by Jon Knight.

Retford United 3

Heanor Town 1

Heanor Town’s FA Cup adventure ended at the first time of asking on Saturday as Retford United progressed to the next round.

The league leaders recovered from going a goal down inside two minutes to score three of their own and progress to face Belper Town.

Retford attacked from the off, flashing a chance wide in the first 30 seconds, but within a minute Heanor were in front as Kieran Debrouwer who made a fantastic run down the left flank and placed a pinpoint cross to Alex Haughton who found the net through a sea of legs.

Retford saw two goals disallowed for offside while Heanor nearly doubled their lead, Cory Bowler’s long range shot held by the keeper.

The equaliser came when a long clearance from the goalkeeper found Reece Thompson who took the ball into the area and drove a low effort into the back of the net.

Retford then took the lead shortly before half-time as another long ball ended up at the feet of Liam Wilkin who turned and placed his shot into the net, despite appearing to foul Lee Stevenson in the process.

Heanor came out strongly in the second-half, Courey Grantham seeing a shot diverted for a corner early on, but it was 3-1 on 49 minutes when Thompson took a touch and placed the ball past Mark Frost who was frozen to the spot.

Heanor’s next clear cut chance came on 59 minutes when Debrouwer took the ball past the last defender with an excellent bit of skill but managed to put his effort wide of the mark.

Grantham was next to go close as he earned a yard of space in the area but his shot, having beaten the keeper, was cleared off the line - although it did appear to have crossed it.

It did seem that the ground staff were as determined as the players to slow the game down each time they either had a goal kick, corner or throw in.

The match finished with a flurry of chances for Heanor, although with the impressive Haughton having been substituted in the 65th minute the forward line lacked the target man needed.

Retford: Barford, Stannard, Smith, Walkden, Hasset, Cooper, Aspinall,Thompson, Wilkin, Holmes, Johnson.

Subs: Slack, Owens, Severn.

Heanor: M. Frost, Stevenson, O’Donnell, Hall, Peel, Booker, Grantham, Moran, Haughton, Debrouwer, Bowler.

Subs: S.Frost, Cooper, Campbell, Rogers, Baker

Next match: Nostell MW (away), August 24.