Lions carry on where they left off

Gary Webster opens the scoring for Heanor at Garforth on Saturday.''Photo by Paul Morley
Gary Webster opens the scoring for Heanor at Garforth on Saturday.''Photo by Paul Morley

Heanor Town have made a positive - if belated - start to 2014 by winning at Garforth Town on Saturday.

Saturday’s 3-1 win was the first time the Lions have been able to get on the pitch - due to the wet weather - since the 5-0 thumping of Winterton on December 28.

On Saturday, after their stylish, energetic attacking tactics paid off, they succeeded in dominating the match for long spells.

Early chances went begging for Benger, Tinsley and Debrouwer with two clear penalty claims dismissed for Benger.

Bathurst, Garforth’s goalkeeper, did produce a fantastic save from Benger on 15 minutes, the ball looked to be heading into the back of the net until he got his fingertips to send the shot over.

It took until the 29th minute for a Debrouwer cross to find Gary Webster less than a yard from goal and the forward was able to slide the ball into the net.

Only two minutes later, Heanor doubled their lead. A Chris Shaw corner fell to the feet of the prolific Benger, who swept the ball home through a sea of Garforth legs.

Heanor were now 2-0 up after half an hour and looking comfortable.

The Lions continued to apply the pressure to the young defence. Further chances came to Holmes and Debrouwer as the Yorkshire side went into the break considering themselves lucky not to be further behind.

The second half began with a Holmes shot, then a classy move between the man of the match Nick Hall, Webster and Benger, the latter narrowly missing the target.

Raven came close just a minute later with a fierce drive towards the near post.

Webster grabbed his second goal on 63 minutes, a corner half-cleared and quickly retrieved by Webster, who played a neat one-two with Benger before planting his left-footed strike into the top of the net.

More chances came for Benger, Tinsley and Tinsley as Heanor looked unstoppable going forward.

On 73 minutes, Gerry Moran replaced Nick Hall. Garforth grabbed their consolation on 77 minutes, a long ball split Heanor’s defence and Frost misjudged the pace on the ball. Greenhalgh managed to get to the ball first and slotted home after rounding the unlucky goalkeeper.

Heanor followed this with Simmons replacing Holmes after 86 minutes and Stevenson replacing Tinsley after 89 minutes as they held on to claim a valuable and well-deserved three points on the road.

This Saturday, Maltby Main are the visitors to the Town Ground with the NCEL Premier Division game kicking off at 3pm.