Law relieved at first win

ALFRETON Town manager Nicky Law was a relieved man after seeing his side finally record their first home win of the season at the fifth attempt.

The Reds came from a goal behind to beat in-form Barrow and record a historic first ever Blue Square Bet Premier Division home win on Tuesday evening.

Law reflected: “If I am honest, it was no different to the other games. We missed a shed load of chances.

“Inside the first ten minutes we could have had the game won, we could have been 3-0 up, but as long as it isn’t, one mistake or one piece of good play from the opposition undoes you.

“But missed chances aside, I am pleased for the players and they deserve credit because after going a goal down, albeit to ten men, they dug in and stuck at it and got their reward.

“They do try their best and it just hasn’t worked out so far but we have just got to keep doing the things we are good at.

“For some unknown reason we have had the shakes at home. We were formidable last year, but this time we have been poor and I really don’t know the reason.

“Hopefully now we can take this confidence into Saturday’s game with Ebbsfleet but it will be another tough game that’s for sure.”

Law was also delighted for the way on-loan striker James Ellison notched his first goal for the club since joining from Burton Albion.

Law ended: “It has been a tough spell for everyone and James has suffered because of the situation we have found ourselves in. But it was a brave header because there were a lot of heads in there. It was a good goal and will do him the world of good.”

The Reds had responded after suffering a 3-1 defeat at Kidderminster Harriers at the weekend.

Manager Law saw Leigh Franks booked for a fifth time this season and he missed the Barrow game through a one match suspension.

Striker Drewe Broughton put the Reds in front from the penalty spot on his debut against one of his former clubs but he has now been suspended for three games after trial by video.

The match referee missed an alleged elbowing offence by Broughton just before half-time which brought a mass melee of players.

However, the referee’s assessor saw it and requested a copy of the match day dvd from the host club.

The assessor viewed the incident and then reported it to the Fooball Association who took immediate action and banned Broughton for three games starting with Tuesday’s home match with Barrow.

This Saturday the Reds are home to Ebbsfleet United (3pm) then travel to AFC Telford United next Tuesday. ATFC Supporters’ Association transport departs at 5pm and seats can be booked via Mark Thorpe on 01773 836251.