Late strikes sink the Reds

Alfreton Town led until ten minutes from time at Woking on Saturday, but ultimately their trip to the leafy suburbs of Surrey ended in a 2-1 disappointment as they slipped to seventh spot in the Skrill Premier.

Job Ayo Akinde had already had a goal ruled out when he put the Reds ahead in the 20th minute, but after hitting the woodwork three times in the second half, Woking eventually claimed all three points with goals from Joseph Jones and Jack Marriott.

Manager Nicky Law recalled Elliott Whitehouse in place of the indisposed Dan Bradley, while Connor Franklin and Tom Shaw came in for Daniel Meadows and Godfrey Poku, the Reds impressing in the first half before the game swung dramatically in the hosts’ favour after the break.

Alfreton began on a positive note with Whitehouse going close from a free-kick before embarking on a withering run that culminated with Shaun Harrad firing beyond the back post.

Woking responded with Marriott cutting in from the right to test Jon Worsnop, but it was home keeper Sam Beasant who needed to be alert to palm away an awkward inswinging corner from Josh Law in the eighth minute.

Scott Rendell tested Jon Worsnop with a strong downward header, then in the tenth minute Job Ayo Akinde headed over advancing keeper Sam Beasant from a Whitehouse pass only for an offside decision to cut short celebrations.

Bradley Wood’s 13th minute shot was held by Beasant, then seven minutes later Harrad’s neat control and pass left Akinde free to slide the ball home from five yards and Alfreton at that stage were full value for their lead.

John Nutter’s 34th minute cross just eluded Marriott at the back post before the game was held up for a couple of minutes by an impromptu performance from the stadium sprinklers, much to the fans’ amusement.

Akinde’s cross whistled through a crowded box to miss everybody, then on 58 minutes Nick Fenton almost headed past his own keeper from a Nutter free-kick but the ball rebounded off the back post.

The equaliser came on 80 minutes after Law had impeded John Goddard.

Goddard took the free-kick himself with Jones heading past Worsnop to level the game at 1-1, but three minutes later Law almost restored Alfreton’s advantage when his blockbuster from 28 yards shook the crossbar.

The winner came from five minutes from time when Marriott swept the ball home after being put through by Payne to take all three points for the home side.