Home run comes to an end for Law’s men

Alfreton Town manager Nicky Law was left massively disappointed after seeing his side lose their ten-game unbeaten run at the Impact Arena and pick up two more injuries on Tuesday night.

The Reds’ boss saw his side fall to a 1-0 defeat against a Chester side who are still in the bottom four despite the victory.

It was a first home defeat in just over six months for Law’s side, Stockport County being the last team to win at the Impact Arena back on April 6.

Just four days after coming from behind to triumph 3-2 at home over adversity against big-spenders Forest Green Rovers, Alfreton could not follow up their endeavours.

“I felt for the first 30 minutes they (Chester) came with a plan, they got plenty of people behind the ball, slowed the game down and we enabled them to do that,” reflected Law.

“I think we looked the better of the two sides for 30 minutes, looked the more likely to score, didn’t score, and then for some reason, tried to change the plan.”

Law went into Tuesday’s game without suspended central defender Nick Fenton who began a three-match ban, and injured duo Chris Westwood and Paul Clayton, the latter exiting last Saturday’s game against Forest Green Rovers after just 30 seconds due to an ankle injury which now looks likely to keep him out for up to a month.

The Reds boss then saw striker Daniel Wishart and central defender Michael Wylde come off against Chester with hamstring and shoulder injuries.

Law admitted he is going to have to try and bolster his numerically-challenged squad before back-to-back away trips to Gateshead and Aldershot Town over the next two weekends.

Alfreton are back in action on Saturday when they travel to take on in-form Gateshead. ATFC Supporters’ Association transport departs 9am and seats can be booked by contacting Mark Thorpe on 07857 558401.

There is no midweek game next week, but Monday sees the draw for the fourth qualifying round of this season’s FA Cup, the tie to be played on Saturday, October 26.