Heanor Town suffer thumping in front of bumper Hereford crowd

NAPIT Chesterfield and Distrtict Sunday League round-up.
NAPIT Chesterfield and Distrtict Sunday League round-up.

When a club the size of Hereford FC enter a Step Five league it is always an away trip that is met with excitement and apprehension, in equal measures.

This trip proved to turn out to be the heaviest defeat Heanor Town has suffered in modern history after they were beaten 8-0.

It also turned out the crowd spectating is the largest to watch Heanor Town FCm possibly since the home record was set when Carlisle came to town, with 5611 in The Town Ground.

The slightly more modest 4612 crowd were expecting big things. Hereford knew that if they won they would be within a single point of the title, Heanor knew that a result was a possibility but it would be an uphill task.

The first ten minutes gave no indication of the final outcome with Heanor breaking through twice with swift passing movements.

Pablo Haysham provided the first goal for The Bulls on 12 minutes with a sublime free-kick.

Heanor nearly levelled when Joe Naylor headed just wide.

Hereford doubled their lead through Joe Tumelty after tireless work from Mike Symons.

Heanor Town had produced a resilient performance so far, however, individual errors from senior players kept producing opportunities for Hereford to extend their lead.

When Matt Harris was brushed aside by Rob Purdie on 42 minutes it gave Aaron Birch the time to drive Purdie’s assist in to the net.

When Hereford visited The Town Ground it was four goals in little over ten minutes that did the damage and yet again, Heanor conceded four goals in 12 minutes.

The first, and Hereford’s fourth, came in the 50th minute. Haysham darted past the challenge of Jordan Simpson to the right side of the penalty area and rifled a strike across goal in to the far corner beating McCormack.

The fifth of the day came on 57 minutes as Jamie Willets headed home from a corner.

Haysham wrapped his hat-trick up on the hour as he lifted a the ball out of reach of McCormack from 15 yards.

Goal seven came three minutes later through Joe Tumelty, collecting a pass on 20 yards out, as he curled well into the top corner.

Rob Purdie, who played for Hereford in their former life as a professional football club, sliced an effort wide on 65 minutes when well placed, with

Chris Bettney also going close.

John Mills wrapped up the scoring for Hereford on 81 minutes, with the Heanor legs now tired to the point of aching, he turned Lynch backwards and forwards before placing the ball last McCormack from six yards.

It could have been a 9-0 final result if it hadn’t been for a fantastic penalty save from McCormack in the second minute of added time.

Heanor: McCormack, Marriott, Seale, Hall ©, Simpson, Lynch, O Naylor (Benger HT), J Naylor, Oshoboke, Harris (Bettney HT), Abdollahi (Moran 63).

Unused: Warner, Barrett.

Attendance: 4612.