Heanor Town finish sixth after defeat at Barton Town Old Boys

editorial image

With the title already wrapped up by Shaw Lane Aquaforce FC and the top four places cemented a week ago both sides went in to this game knowing that only a Barton win would move Heanor from fifth place.

Three goals in the first half an hour wrapped up the final places for both Barton and Heanor, The Lions finishing sixth in what has been another season of amazing progress.

Three minutes in and the man looking to secure the league top scorer position, Scott Phillips, managed to edge past an off balance Chris Shaw and knock the ball home under goalkeeper, James Baker, to give Barton the lead.

Sam Jones tested Rick Watson from fifteen yards on seven minutes, the shot being collected comfortably.

Sean Gregory very nearly levelled the scores, his shot being six inches too high as he shaped his shot perfectly from twenty five yards, the ball crashing off the bar and away to safety.

Ash Lattimore, the winger who caused Heanor problems in the reverse fixture, doubled his sides lead on twenty three minutes. His header came after Strzyzewski proved ineffective when attempting to clear from a simple cross.

Ady Hawes, a giant of a defender, should have added to his Heanor Town FC goal tally on twenty four minutes with a free head, a corner kick wasn’t cleared by Barton as he found space to head narrowly over.

Strzyzewski nodded a weak header back to Baker on twenty four minutes, Joshua Baker nipped between defender and goalkeeper to feed Phillips for his second of the day as he tapped into an unguarded net.

Phillips scored his third of the day on thirty four minutes, powering past the disappointing Strzyzewski and Hawes he ran a clear forty yards before beating Baker low at the near post.

Oliver Naylor has enjoyed his spell in the first team this season, becoming a fans favourite. His effort and energy hasn’t yet been matched by a large number of goals and he really should have scored on thirty seven minutes. Beating Watson to the ball, his shot from a wide angle was weak and easily cleared.

Kieran Debrouwer, one of the most gifted footballers in Step Five football, showed his prowess two minutes before the break. Collected the ball with a neat touch a yard inside his own half he then set off on a mazy run, close control and trickery took him into the six yard box where a placed right foot strike gave Heanor a way back into the game.

The same player should have added to the score on the stroke of half time. His effort zipped a yard wide of the post through a crowded penalty area.

Cory Bowler replaced Oliver Naylor at half time, changing the shape of the team to attempt an unlikely come back.

Strzyzewski should have redeemed himself on forty nine minutes, his header from a Bowler corner can only be described as a sitter and should have nestled in the back of the net, instead it went for a goal kick.

Bowler was direct, deep crosses and movement that right back Gareth Owen couldn’t deal with. His dart into the penalty area on fifty two minutes saw him flattened by Watson, the goalkeeper should have been dismissed but as with most match officials this season all challenges inside the penalty area were met with no real discipline. A caution was made and Sam Jones placed the ball on the spot, his fifty third minute penalty making the score line a little more respectable.

Matt Richards replaced the limping Danny Booth on seventy one minutes, an attacking switch as Barton repeatedly gave instruction to be more defensive.

The Swans looked happy to hold their lead and frustrate Heanor, chances becoming more infrequent throughout.

Sam Jones was almost the beneficiary of the first effective shout of advantage, it had took seventy six minutes for the referee to let play run before making a decision. Sean Gregory had been fouled all ends up but the ball ran to Jones who fired inches wide of the goal.

Barton brought U19 player Danny Chambers on, it was he who added their fifth goal on eighty four minutes. Corey Mortimer looked off side in the build up but with no flag he carried on and drilled a low cross to Chambers who tapped home with ease.

Heanor: Baker, Marriott, Shaw ©, Booth (Richards 71), Hawes, Strzyzewski, Naylor (Bowler 45), Gregory, Benger, Jones, Debrouwer.

Subs not used: Coupe, Hall, Seale