Heanor Town count cost of wasted chances in Nostell MW draw

Heanor full-back Greg Marriott bursts forward. Picture by Paul Morley
Heanor full-back Greg Marriott bursts forward. Picture by Paul Morley

Heanor Town were left counting the cost of poor finishing as they were held to a 1-1 draw by strugglers Nostell Miners Welfare FC.

Heanor started well and Jay Cooper turned the ball past a defender on eight minutes before knocking a left foot strike high over the bar.

They opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a Cooper header after Nick Hall’s cushioned header gave him a tap-in.

Marc Strzyzewski found a number of opportunities throughout the match to add to his three goals for Heanor Town FC.

His glancing header just before half-time from a Chris Shaw free-kick went for a goal-kick when he should have done better.

It was a disappointing affair in the second half with action and entertainment lacking.

Shooting down ‘the slope’ in the second half it looked like Heanor would add to their score, with Cooper seeing his effort saved low down by Saynor.

James Kitson, one of Nostell’s young talents, fired home with his, and Nostell’s, only effort on goal on 53 minutes.

A move started by striker Rob Bordman on the edge of his own penalty area saw a number of passes before Bordman delivered a cross to the back post.

The simple sidefoot pass took Jason Fisher out of the game as Kitson fired into the roof of the net.

Adrian Hawes retired to the bench through injury on 63 minutes to be replaced by Jack Andrews. Nathan Benger was replaced by Cory Bowler at the same time.

Bowler should have restored Heanor’s lead when Nick Hall’s 25 yarder crashed out off the inside of the post and in to his path.

But he hit the ball over the bar with the goal gaping as he rushed his effort.

Saynor finished the game with another great save to deny Marc Strzyzewski and leave Heanor highly frustrated.

Heanor: Fisher, Marriott, Shaw, Hall, Hawes (Andrews 63), Strzyzewski, Cooper, Booth, Benger (Bowler 63) Richards, Debrouwer.

Subs not used: Gregory, Naylor, Baker.

Attendance: 136.

Referee: Neil Faunch (Staffordshire).