Heanor take the points at Thackley

Lee Stevenson celebrates with Heanor fans after scoring 'Photo by Paul Morley
Lee Stevenson celebrates with Heanor fans after scoring 'Photo by Paul Morley

Heanor Town gained a fine 3-0 win at Thackley on Saturday.

The Lions showed they had come for all three points from the start and were unlucky not to take the lead in the opening minutes.

A free kick on the right found Bryant, he crossed and Clarke’s shot was deflected for a corner.

Heanor they had a penalty appeal for handball turned down before Jason Foster saw his well-struck drive just clear the bar.

The game was ten minutes old before Thackley were able to launch their first real attack, Degirolamo getting his foot to the ball to deny Smith a shot at goal.

On 11 minutes, Heanor took the lead. The ball was given away on the halfway line. Lee Stevenson broke clear, cut inside to the edge of the box before slotting the ball past Tom Carlisle.

Thackley were back on terms a couple of minutes later with only their second attack of the game. Missin crossed from the left for Nicky Matthews to steal past the away defenders and head just inside the post, giving Oliver Pannell no chance.

Heanor’s play was fast and furious, they were not allowing Thackley any time on the ball.

Subsequently the home side were struggling to put their passes together.

Smith brought a save from Pannell after Matthews had set him clear. On 30 minutes, Pannell could only push away a Missin cross and as Wiley tried to clear, Missin’s clumsy tackle on the defender earned him a yellow card.

Heanor regained the lead after 41 minutes when Stef Frost outpaced Firth and slotted the ball past Carlisle.

Early in the second half Thackley were reduced to ten men when Hall’s challenge on Bryant was deemed worthy of a second yellow card.

Carlisle made another great stop after Stevenson went on another fine run for the Lions, and Bett fired over the bar for the home side at the other end before twice bringing Pannell into action with saves. Thackley’s task was not made easier with them being down to ten men and they used their substitutes without being able to make any significant impression on the game or the scoreline.

Heanor were slowing the game down with three points now well within their reach but it was Pannell who denied the Dennyboys a share of the spoils in the dying embers of the game with the save of the match from Firth following Matthews’ free kick.

A great win for Heanor from their first visit to Dennyfield for 27 years and their first ever win there. They now have 50 points and have moved back into the top half of the table at the same time as putting a severe dent into Thackley’s hopes of a top six finish.