Five goals from David Robison helps Swanwick Pentrich Road Reserves knock out Holbrook St Michaels Res

editorial image

Swanwick Pentrich Road Reserves were yet again fighting to stay in all three cups and, looking at the final score, you would be excused for thinking this was a one-sided affair against Holbrook St Michaels Res.

The truth is that the Swans had to earn their place in the next round in a match that went the full 120 minutes.

With 15 minutes on the clock Swan’s centre-half Dave Pilgrim latched onto a swirling corner to bundle the ball home from inside the six yard box.

The home side began to dominate, but with so much possession Holbrook played some nice counter attacking football.

Holbrook’s breaking tactics came to fruition and they soon levelled the match when a well driven shot was deflected past Craig Rodgers in the Swanwick goal.

Reserve team coach Andy Worrall, continued to encourage the home side to force the issue and, on a heavy pitch, the Swans had to play a more direct style. Craig Rodgers was called into action two more times before full-time, however, the Swan’s keeper was too sharp to be beaten.

With the score level after 90 minutes, the match went into extra-time with legs getting as wary as the surface of the pitch.

Extra-time was heavily dominated by the home side as Mark Brewster stepped up to slot home a clear cut penalty, giving the Swan’s the lead they needed to bring the visitors out of their defensive area.

The next 20 minutes were the David Robinson show. His first of five was the result of some clever work by Oliver Russell who dragged the Holbrook keeper wide only to square the ball for Robinson to convert. Robinson’s best goal of his five was a result of a mazy Mark Brewster run and effort that was parried away from the Holbrook goal. Robinson was still sharp after 118 minutes and managed to pull the ball back from an acute angle to end the match.

The reserves will travel to Pinxton on the 27th in search of more cup success.