Didcock nets a hat-trick

Ripley Rangers Under 13s 6

Darley Dale Juniors Under 13s 2

Ripley Rangers Under 13s kept up their 100 per cent start to the season with three wins out of three.

Rangers started brightly and went ahead on ten minutes when a neat one-two between Luke Jaques and Dan Bain ended with Jaques hammering a ball home from wide right of the penalty area, into the top of the net.

The goal gave Rangers a lift and it was soon 2-0 when Max Didcock was in the right place to help the ball over the line from a scramble in the Darley Dale penalty area.

On 20 minutes, it was 3-0 when a great passing move between Didcock, Joe Martin and Bain ended with Didcock lashing the ball home from 15 yards.

At this point, Rangers had more chances to extend the lead but the Dale goalkeeper made some great saves from Luke Gee and Jaques, although he could do nothing about Gee’s next attempt. He received a neat pass from Keilan Harrison, sidestepped a defender and smashed the ball into the roof of the net from ten yards for 4-0.

At this point, Rangers seemed to think they’d got the game wrapped up and were punished by two quickfire Darley Dale goals that brought them back into the game, giving them belief that they could get something out of the league.

Half-time came with Dale back in it at 4-2 with the Rangers lads under instructions to up their game again during the second half.

Fortunately for Rangers, that’s exactly what they did, making sure they were first to the ball again and their hard work paid off when they were awarded a penalty after 50 minutes due to a handball. Didcock was given the opportunity to grab his hat-trick and extend the lead and he happily took his chance, firing the ball past the Dale keeper to make it 5-2.

Rangers took further control of the game with a good effort from Sam Clifton going just past the post and Joe Martin bringing a good save from the Dale keeper when through on goal.

Rangers went 6-2 ahead when a through ball from George O’Neill found Didcock in space and he coolly slotted the ball past the advancing keeper for his fourth. At this point, Dale seemed to rally but some great tackles by Ben Rose ensured there were no further efforts on goal from Dale. The final score line of 6-2 was fair at the end of a game that had been refereed very well by experienced ref Gary Key.

Man of the match was Max Didcock, not just for the goals, but a great all-round display.

Team sponsors were Stringfellows Trade Outlet, Nottingham Road, Ripley.