Debrouwer at the double in Lions’ cup win

Heanor Town are still unbeaten during their busy run of fixtures in March.

Following last Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with Brighouse and Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Bridlington, the Lions beat Thackley at the Town Ground on Tuesday in the Northern Counties East League Cup Third Round.

Nicholls had the first effort of the game for Heanor, a left-footed half chance in the third minute that brought a routine save out of the visiting goalkeeper.

It was Crosby’s turn next to try and break the deadlock, turning inside onto his weaker left foot his low effort nearly deceived Hodgkinson as he dived low to his left to stop the shot.

Debrouwer skipped past two challenges in the 16th minute and fired goalwards, Hodgkinson again saving well with his legs.

Unfortunately, Thackley’s Chris Davey’s free kick, taken from just outside the left side of the penalty area lifted over the ball and into the corner of the net gave the visitors the lead.

Peel nearly brought parity to the score, a Shaw free-kick after Webster was felled nearly hit the towering defender’s head in the penalty area but for a Thackley glancing header deflecting the ball out for a corner.

Frost kept Heanor within touching distance in the 31st minute, a diving save tipping the ball wide. Thackley’s Lewis Morgan then fired a shot over the bar from 20 yards as the half came to a close.

Heanor made a double change at half-time, Benger and Holmes replacing Nicholls and Crosby.

Webster headed over the goalkeeper from distance in the 59th minute with all Heanor supporters celebrating, only for their excitement to be dulled by a Thackley defender clearing the ball off the line.

Savage replaced Tinsley in the 64th minute, giving Heanor more attacking intent.

Webster added to his recent goal tally in the 70th minute, firing through players from 25 yards. This goal turned the game and

Debrouwer then managed to get the final touch on Shaw’s inswinging free kick in the 77th minute, his 45th goal of the season.

Just four minutes later, it was Debrouwer who broke free on the right side of the forward line, his powerful shot going into the net off of the palm of Hodgkinson, the goalkeeper unable to stop the effort with the venom behind it.

Gerry Moran, who had been excellent in breaking up Thackley’s midfield play throughout, nearly found the top corner from 20 yards but found himself unlucky to see the ball sail wide.

Debrouwer nearly registered his tenth hat-trick of the season in the 88th minute, Hodgkinson making a fantastic triple save at his feet, the third being a reflex save any Premier League goalkeeper would be proud of.

Heanor eventually got their fourth goal of the evening. Benger received the ball from Savage and fired the ball in.

Heanor now look forward to a quarter-final away to either Winterton or Retford on March 20. Next match for the Lions is at Glasshoughton on Saturday.