Cup run ends but Lions look to extend fine league form

editorial image

Heanor Town’s run in the Derbyshire Senior Cup was ended on Tuesday night when the Lions lost their semi-final 2-0 to Ilkeston FC at the New Manor Ground.

In front of a crowd of 315, Heanor put in a battling display against the cup’s holders but a goal in each half put paid to their chances of booking a place in the final.

Heanor produced the earliest chance when Gary Webster turned his man neatly from ten yards out and sent a shot fizzing past the right hand post.

Then Jared Holmes followed this up less than a minute later with a 25-yarder that was saved low by Ross Etheridge.

Heanor acquitted themselves well in the early stages but it was the hosts who drew first blood, taking the lead on 15 minutes.

Tyrell Waite picked up the ball on the left, cut inside and then drilled a low shot past Mark Frost and into the far corner.

Frost then had to be at his best to tip a Gary Ricketts ahead over the bar three minutes later with a brilliant save.

There was a scare for Ilkeston on 21 minutes when Shaw whipped in a free kick from the right which Etheridge could only parry to the lurking Nathan Benger, but his effort was saved at point-blank range by the keeper.

Benger fired in a free kick on 37 minutes that was saved low by Etheridge and then Ilkeston had a great opportunity to double their lead.

Waite was released down the left and he advanced on goal. His shot was excellently blocked by Frost and then Ricketts’ follow-up was cleared off the line by Matt Blake and into Frost’s hands.

At the other end, Blake had a shot cleared off the line on the stroke of half-time as Ilkeston had trouble with a Shaw corner.

Into the second half, Ilkeston came out strongly and Waite missed two early chances.

On the hour, Callum Chettle made it 2-0 with a low shot from 25 yards, his first goal for the Robins.

Kieran Debrouwer went close twice in the last ten minutes and Brett Peel had a header cleared off the line but the Robins held the Lions at bay to claim their place in the final.

n Saturday’s league match at home to Worksop Parramore fell foul of the wet weather, meaning the Lions have only played one league game so far this season.

They will hope for better fortune with the weather this Saturday, when they host Long Eaton United in a local derby.

The match between the two sides at Grange Park earlier in the season ended in a 1-1 draw.