Codnor U9s return to winning ways

Derby Mini Soccer Under 9

Group 2

Codnor Boys 8

Ashbourne Aztecs Puma 1

CODNOR U9s returned to winning ways with a comprehensive victory over bottom of the table Ashbourne.

This was Codnors first match for three weeks due to the Christmas holidays.

Codnor began with Noah Wright up front in place of the rested James Dean and it was Wright who opened the scoring, capitalising on a poor goalkick.

Ashbourne hit back immediately with a good goal but Codnor soon regained the lead with a Ben Greaves goal.

Bradley Pearson had missed six weeks with a broken wrist but was now fit to return.

He was introduced after ten minutes and marked his return by scoring within five seconds!

Bradley Pearson went on to complete his hat trick by half time, proving how much he has been missed. Ben Richards made the half time score 6-1 with a good finish from Noah Wrights cross.

For the second half Colby O’Hare was replaced in goal by Ewan McCracken, and it was Colby O’Hare who scored the best goal of the game, racing clear and finishing in the corner.

Ben Greaves scored his second and Codnors eighth to wrap things up.

It was a comfortable game for Codnor , played in good spirit by both teams. David O’Hagan did well for Codnor, Ben Richards showed his class and Lewis Walker had another strong game. Codnor stay in third place in the league.

ADASC Harriers

Heanor Staffs U14s

After a rest for the festive period both teams were raring to go in this clash of the second and third-placed teams in the division.

It was almost half time before the first goal was scored and it went to the hosts who led 1-0 at the break.

In the second half a cross from Tallen Hotchkiss connected to Thomas Campbell who made it 1-1.

Unfortunately with just a few minutes to go, a deflection gave ADASC the win from a close, even game.

Little Eaton Diamonds U11s 4

Heanor Juniors U11s 2

Heanor returned to action after the festive break with a tough looking fixture against a side sitting one place behind them in the table.

Both sides looked a little rusty in the opening minutes and there was little goalmouth excitement to warm the spectators.

The first opportunity came when Sam Meakin made a fine break from his own half but his shot from the edge of the area was blocked by a defender.

However it was Little Eaton who grabbed the lead when a defensive mix up allowed a Diamond’s striker to prod the ball home.

As half time approached Heanor were struggling to create any clear chances but they were gifted an equaliser when a Daniel Holmes corner was palmed into his own net by the goalkeeper.

The second half started much more brightly and Sam Meakin had already shot narrowly over the bar before he gave Heanor the lead with a stunning volley from a corner.

Little Eaton struck back almost immediately and were level when a brilliant free kick from the left wing flew into the top corner giving Kian Simpson no chance.

Both teams went in search of a winner and Cameron Knowles almost produced a moment of magic but his surging run was halted as he was about to shoot.

The game appeared to be heading for a draw but Little Eaton clinched the points with two late goals which both resulted from hesitant defending by Heanor.

It had been a scrappy game and the scoreline was harsh on Heanor who had dominated long periods of the game without being able to create clear openings.

Mickleover Jubilee U10s 2

Heanor Juniors U10s 1

Heanor started brightest and played some good football without being able to find the final killer pass but it was all positive.

Will Antcliffe and Jordan Hyde worked tirelessly in midfield whilst Ben Jones looked strong in the middle of the park.

Lewis Searson started up front for the first time this season and showed some good touches.

Chances were few and far between, but one fell to Jones who could only find the side netting from a tight angle with his left foot effort.

Liam Noon looked assured in the Heanor goal, and was given great protection by Oliver Kerry and the again impressive River Fowkes.

The goal that Mickleover scored was against the run of play and was fortunate to say the least. The ball was played into the box and it bounced around like a pin ball, and was forced over the line.

If Heanor had most of the play in the first half, then they totally dominated after the break. Duncan Claxton and George Hallam were introduced, and Hallam continually caused havoc.

When Mickleover did get forward they found Jake Stepney in great form, and his tackles were timed to perfection.

Heanor should have been level when a Hyde shot hit the post, bounced to Jones who watched his first time effort go agonisingly wide of the post.

There was also a hint of mis-fortune about the goal that saw Mickleover go two-up.

It was a good run down the right, and a good shot which Noon managed to save, but he could only watch as the ball hit the bar and dropped over the line. It was hard yet again on the boys but to their credit they never gave up.

Their efforts were rewarded when with eight minutes to go Hyde again played the ball into the box, and this time Jones made no mistake as he found the bottom corner with his first time shot.

As the game approached it’s conclusion, Heanor forced a number of corners, and both Hallam and Hyde went close.

In the last minute Jones just failed to connect with his shot with the goal keeper on the floor, and the in the next minute the referee blew for full time.

A narrow defeat against the side third in the league is a good result, but in hindsight it could have and should have been so much more.

Heanor Juniors U15s 5

Spondon Dynamoes U15s 4

Heanor won a very entertaining match after a hard fought victory to leapfrog their rivals into third place in the league.

With several players ill or injured Heanor made some changes but started well taking the lead in 10 minutes when Jack Sweet’s corner was deflected into the net.

Heanor missed a few chances to increase their lead before Spondon broke away to equalise when the referee chose to ignore the linesmans flag for offside.

As half time approached Heanor increased the tempo and Charlie Ottowell scored a fine sol o goal before slamming the ball home to make it 3-1 at the break.

Despite a half time warning from the coaches, Heanor sat back as Spondon scored twice in five minutes to make it 3-3.

Heanor attacked constantly but missed chances and a poor final ball let them down.

Spondon then went ahead when a long ball caught out the defence for Manning to complete his hat trick.

With ten minutes left Heanor brought on substitute James Mini Parkin. It proved to be an inspired move as within two minutes he picked up a loose ball on the right to fire high past the keeper’s despairing hands for the equaliser.

Heanor went for the win and five mins later a ball in from the left by Ottowell was met by Parkin’s left foot volley to fly past the keeper.

Heanor hung on with good defending and with Reece Humphries making a good save in the final minute deserved their win

Man of the match: James Parkin.

This Sunday, Heanor are home to Riverside (Long Eaton) on the Town Ground, 10.30am.

.....James(Mini) Parkin

Kickstart Youth League U7s

Ripley Rangers U7s v

Codnor Boys

Ripley Rangers played Codnor boys for the first time since the first game of the season when a very established team gave Ripley a football lesson.

This was Ripley’s chance to show how much they had improved, it was also the first game back from a two week rest period over Christmas and new year for the Ripley Rangers lads and at 11 am it would become clear if all those mince pies would affect the players game.

The short answer was no as everyone on the pitch work extremely hard.

Ripley were organised, tackled with enthusiasm and passed the ball well, they created several good chances and controlled large parts of the game and scored two very good goals, both teams played good football with Codnor Boys playing their part in a very competitive game.

The progress Ripley has made was clear to see, much to the delight of the children and the parents.

Thank you to our sponsors Cast Fire Places of Ripley and Sainsbury’s Ripley.

Kickstart U10s Division 2

Ripley Rangers U10s 0

Skegby Colts Red U10s 4

After a lengthy lay of nearly a month Ripley Rangers were back in action against fourth placed Skegby Red.

Skegby were on the attack straight away and only good interceptions from James Phillips and Regan McDonagh stopped Skegby from taking the lead.

David Murray and Ben Hawkes both tested the Skegby keeper who was alert to the danger.

Jake Brandrick and Jack Hounslow passed the ball well and created a chance for Sam Long who had his shot saved by the Skegby keeper.

Skegby then went close with a couple of free kicks but Luke Goold made two great saves in the Rangers goal.

But Skegby were not to be denied and on the break overran Rangers at the back with the Skegby striker driving low into the bottom right hand corner to leave it 1-0 at half time to Skegby.

The second half started with Skegby being much sharper and quicker to every ball and they were 2-0 up five minutes after good work down the left Rangers failed to clear their lines and a shot through a ruck of players hit the back of the net.

Rangers rallied but after three successive corners Ben Hawkes had his shot blocked by the Skegby rearguard.

Rangers pushed forward to get back into the game but were undone when a shot rebounded off a Rangers defender into his own net to make it 3-0 to Skegby.

Rangers kept going and played some good football but Skegby held firm to repel efforts from Jake Brandrick and Jack Hounslow.

Another good move saw Skegby complete the scoring with Luke Goold saving twice before the ball cannoned in to make it 4-0 to Skegby Reds

Ripley Rangers looked to have had too much Christmas turkey today but battled well and will regroup next week.

Man of the match: Regan McDonagh..

l Youth reports must be kept short and co;ncise.