Champions Selston cruise past Holbrook St Michaels

Newly crowned Central Midlands League South Division Champions Sleston put five past Holbrook St Michaels.

Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 1:14 pm
Updated Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 2:29 pm
Selston's Perry Marriott scored twice.

A first half Perry Marriott brace was followed up with second half strikes from Joe Riley, Wayne Cooke and Tom Widdowson sealing the tie.

Selston set out at a pace, obviously keen to avoid an ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’ performance and were in front within six minutes when Tom Widdowson’s energy and drive forced the second of two early corners.

Jamie Renshaw delivered a ball deep to the back post where Perry Marriott arrived on time to head home for the visitor’s first of the day.

Selston settled into their stride after the early goal and made the home side work hard, playing the ball around at the back, even emergency stand in ‘keeper Nick Olden getting in on the act at the age of 45, taking on attackers in his penalty area!

The patient football almost drew dividends with Dominic Airey, Wayne Cooke and Widdowson going close with shots after good build up play. Sean Gregory and Joe Riley came close with efforts from distance but both cleared the bar.

The patience finally paid off as Widdowson proved his worth again by winning another corner with his skilful running.

This time Airey put in the corner and Marriott again met it but on the volley this time, and the centre half didn’t miss the mark from a couple of yards out to put the Parishioners two goals to the good. Further opportunities befell the visitors but they failed to find the finishing touch with Airey and Cooke both going close after good work from Damien James, the score remaining at 2-0 at half time.

Early in the second half Selston won a free kick and Sean Gregory slipped a clever ball for Widdowson who squared for Joe Riley and the midfielder finished at the second attempt to put the champions thre up and the tie effectively, to bed.

Selston were rampant now, great work wide left from Airey and Cooke left the Selston strikers clear of any defenders and Airey’s shot was blocked by the home keeper, Dan Waddington, the rebound headed away from the top corner by a covering defender to deny Selston a fourth.

Sean Gregory showed a great touch in the middle of the park to beat two men and drove for goal. Waddington showed his worth to the home side again when he parried the ensuing forceful shot from the Selston talisman, however Cooke was on hand to tap in the rebound to make it four goals to nil after three quarters of the game had elapsed.

Substitute Gary Breach was in on the act quickly after his introduction, Airey drove at the heart of the defence and slipped a ball to the veteran and he was upended on the edge of the area and a free kick was awarded.

The Selston players gave two goal Marriott a chance to grab his hat trick, however the defender would have been better employed in the area on the end of the free kick rather than taking it. Frankly, he just blasted it at the wall and a chance was wasted.

Cooke and Airey continued where they left off a few minutes earlier, combining well to get around the back of the Saints defence but Cooke’s eventual shot was blocked again by Waddington.

To round off the scoring and a fine personal display, young Tom Widdowson got in on the act in just two minutes from time.

He beat his man, again with ease, and squared for Cooke who’s shot was blocked but the effervescent winger, following up, smashed the ball into the top corner from an acute angle to make it 5 for the visitors.

Selston bagged their 25th league win of the season and will be presented with the Champions trophy on Wednesday the 27th at their last home game against Hucknall Rolls Royce.