Boss unhappy with a point

East Midlands Counties

Radford 3

Holbrook Sports 3

HOLBROOK manager Leigh Grant was disappointed with the display of his side in this six-goal shoot-out.

He said: “I am vey disappointed with a draw. We must start converting these matches into the wins we deserve.

“It was a lacklustre performance again and its not acceptable to play well one well and then put in a performance like this.

“The positives though is we are difficult to beat and when we kept going behind the young lads heads didn’t go down and they continued to battle.’

Radford were under new management and fielded virtually a new side to the one who came to the O-Kra Ground a fortnight ago. The visitors started in lively modeand brought an acrobatic save out of Simon Lillie in the Holbrook goal after only two minutes.

Radford had the better of the first 15 minutes and deservedly took the lead when Holbrook allowed to the ball to bounce in midfield and with no pressing of the ball.

Radford sprayed the ball out wide and the winger easily cut inside and smashed his shot past Simon Lillie.

Holbrook soon equalised through top scorer Emeka Ejiofor, who managed to lob the keeper from fully 35 yards and find the top corner.

Holbrook pressed in the last 15 minutes of the half without looking like scoring.

Holbrook started the second half the brightest and after only five minutes looked to have taken the lead.

The ball was knocked out of the box after a Holbrook corner, it was then swung straight back into the box for Niall Mather to expertly head into the bottom corner. However, the linesman inexplicably, disallowed the goal even though Radford appeared to have a player on the line and another player down injured in the six yard box. Holbrook were then left feeling aggrieved again two minutes later when a Radford handled the ball on the edged of the Holbrook area before playing in a midfield player to slip the ball home.

Again Holbrook had to come from behind again and within five minutes were awarded a penalty for a trip in the 18 yard box and Robbie Harrison converted for 2-2.

The game was now ebbing and flowing and both sides were looking for the win. Radford were lucky to take the lead on 70 mins when a miscued crossed from the Radford Winger deceived the Holbrook defence and was happlessly diverted into the net leaving Simon Lillie no chance.

New boy Danwell Francis was added to the attack and almost instantly made an impact. Ryan Baker was released down the right and his run easily outstretched the Radford defence before he pulled the ball back across the six-yard box for Danwell Francis to score his first goal for Holbrook on his debut.

Holbrook are home to Thurnby Nirvana in the league cup tonight (Wednesday, 7.45pm). On Saturday they are away to Borrowash Victoria, kick-off 3pm.