Alfreton’s 14-game unbeaten run ended

Derbyshire Senior Cup

fourth round

Alfreton Town 0

Glapwell 1

Alfreton Town’s 14-match unbeaten run, which stretched back to September 28th, spluttered to a halt on Tuesday night at home to Glapwell in the quarter-finals of the Derbyshire Senior Cup.

It was a definite case of “after the Lord Mayor’s show” following their fantastic FATrophy win at Cambridge United seven days earlier, but on the plus side the defeat will ease a potentially crippling backlog of fixtures for the Reds.

Glapwell fully deserved their win, which was achieved with only ten men for the last 25 minutes after Chris Timons had been sent off for hauling down Liam Hearn on a central run, the only goal being scored by Ian Brown five minutes after the dismissal.

It was a 70th minute Conor Higginson corner that led to the winner with Brown back-heeling past home keeper Paddy Gamble from the edge of the six-yard box.

Former Reds’ legendary striker Mick Godber was making his swansong appearance at the Impact Arena and somehow contrived to miss the type of chance that he will be remembered for by home fans when put through by Michael Harcourt in the 47th minute, but he did receive a rousing chorus of “there’s only one Mickey Godber” from the Alfreton end when substituted 20 minutes later.

Cances for Alfreton were at a premium with Laurie Wilson going closest in the 61st minute with a shot that needed clearing off the line by another former Red, Damien Magee, then Glapwell keeper Andy Richmond made two late saves from a Hearn header and an Ian Ross drive.

The visitors had threatened in the 11th minute when Matt Wilson blocked a shot from Matt Telling with Adam Kimberley hurriedly firing over the rebound, then a minute later Paul Lister had to intervene at the expense of a corner when Magee’s through-ball caught the Reds off guard.

Finally on 79 minutes a strong run down the left by Higginson led to Matt Wilson again having to block from Telling.

The one major bonus from the night for Reds boss Nicky Law was being able to get Jake Moult into a shirt to start a match for the first time since August 28 when he was injured at Blyth Spartans.

Match stats

Alfreton Town: Paddy Gamble, Dan Dillon, Connor Franklin, Paul Lister, Matt Wilson (c), Laurie Wilson, Jordan Hall, Anton Brown, Ant Wilson (Paul Clayton 54), Nathan Arnold (Liam Hearn 54), Jake Moult (Ian Ross 72).

Substitutes not used: Chris Hall and Darren Stride.

Glapwell: Andy Richmond, Michael Harcourt, Damien Magee, Matt Varley (Adam Walker 45), Steve Kennedy (c), Chris Timons, Matt Telling, Aaron Shelley, Mick Godber (Conor Higginson 67), Ian Brown, Adam Kimberley.

Substitutes not used: Ian Holmes, Gary Townsend, Alan O’Hare

Referee: Mr Alix Pashley of Chesterfield

Attendance: 266

Half-time: 0-0.

Goal: Glapwell - Ian Brown (70).

Bookings: Alfreton Town - Anthony Wilson (45, foul on Matt Varley. Glapwell - Steve Kennedy (foul on Liam Hearn 65).

Sent off: Glapwell - Chris Timons (64, professional foul on Liam Hearn)

Reds man of the match: Connor Franklin

Next in action

Saturday, February 5 - FA Trophy third round - Mansfield Town v Alfreton Town, 3pm. This match is all ticket.