Alfreton ease to a 3-0 win over Hyde

Alfreton Town condemned Hyde FC to relegation from the Skrill Premier with Tuesday night’s 3-0 win at the Impact Arena.

The Tigers had struggled since the opening day of the season, when they lost 8-0 at Forest Green Rovers and the writing had been on the wall long before Christmas, but the record books will show that the Reds were the team that officially sent them down.

Meanwhile, it was a third double for Alfreton, who never needed to raise their game much above training tempo, as they consolidated third position with a brace of goals from Shaun Harrad and a 12th of the season for Job Ayo Akinde.

Manager Nicky Law reverted to 4-4-2 with the recall of Akinde, and with Bradley Wood making way for him it was the first time since joining Alfreton in the summer that the midfielder had not started a game.

Harrad’s poor touch from Godfrey Poku’s first minute pass and his miss from Akinde’s seventh minute pull-back were quickly forgotten when the striker headed neatly over Hyde keeper Chris Kettings from ten yards from Dan Bradley’s 19th minute cross.

Before the goal though, the visitors had forced three corners whilst Will Haining fired just wide from 25 yards, but two minutes after the opener Tom Shaw’s shot was blocked from Akinde’s pass as the Reds attempted to double their advantage.

Jon Worsnop’s huge clearance sent Harrad through on 31 minutes, but he dragged his shot beyond the far post, then a promising run by Shaw from Harrad’s chested pass ended with a similar outcome.

Harrad dispossessed Alex McQuade, who is on loan from Shrewsbury Town, on the halfway line four minutes before the break, but after sprinting into the area his cross fell shy of the supporting Akinde.

It was 2-0 to Alfreton by the 50th minute with a quality strike from Akinde after receiving a pass from Harrad, the ball curled into the bottom corner of the net from just inside the area.

Bradley fired over from 25 yards two minutes later, then resistance in the shape of a confident run by Hyde skipper Liam Tomsett ended with a routine save by Worsnop.

Connor Franklin limped out of the game midway through the second half, with Andrai Jones temporarily moving to left-back before Wood took over the role with 13 minutes remaining.

The third goal arrived on 82 minutes when Harrad scooped in Bradley’s cross from close range to complete the victory.