A great start to the new year for Ripley

RIPLEY TOWN began 2012 with a bang as they defeated Woolley Moor United 3-0 at Nottingham Road.

It was a win which avenged an early season 6-2 defeat in the reverse fixture and underlined the progress the club is making.

In a tight first half, Woolley edged the game with the advantage of a strong wind, but Ripley’s well organised back four held firm.

Town took the game to the visitors from the start of the second half and took the lead with a rare Lee Colson goal, the full back scoring with a cross-shot the keeper couldn’t hold.

Liam Brown and Kenny Birks both went close as Ripley continued to press.

The second goal was a beauty. Jimmy Hassell cut in from the right and hit the back of the net from 25 yards.

United were stunned but still caused problems although Ripley refused to buckle with Kenny Birks and Steve Bayliss solid at the back and there was also a fine save from keeper Ian Randall.

Jay Harrison added a fine and well-deserved third goal five minutes from the end as Ripley made it six wins in a row. This Saturday they are in local derby action when they travel to take on Bargate Rovers (2pm).

Aaron Andrews scored the Findern goal as they lost 4-1 to Swanwick Pentrich Road Reserves.

Tibshelf went one better and beat Punjab United 5-1 with Bradbury scoring four of the goals and Nathan Hadley bagging the other.

Division Two saw Roe Farm gain their fourth point of the season through a 1-1 draw at Wirksworth Town Reserves.

Little Eaton Reserves beat Ambergate 3-2 (see report below, right).

Paul Fowler scored first for Bargate Rovers Reserves but they still lost 4-1 to Mackworth St.Francis.

Allenton began their new year Premier Division title defence in fine style as they bounced back with a 10-1 thrashing of struggling Sandiacre Town. The goals came from Nathan Sandar (3), Danny O’Connell (2), Adam Birch (2), and one apiece from Patrick McBean, Dave Carr and Connor Domachowski.

Completing Allenton’s day, their reserves beat Pastures Reserves 3-1 to reach the final of the DCFA Junior Cup.

Derby Royals and Melbourne Dynamo engaged in two draws on the day.

The first team fixture ending all-square at 1-1, Sam Griffiths scoring for Royals and Adam Ross for Dynamo.

The reserves closed at 2-2 thanks to a last ditch equaliser for Melbourne from Matt Archer - who got the other Dynamo goal as well. Adam Clark and Ross Archer got the Royals goals.

Ashover recorded their second win of the season as they beat Newmount 3-2.

Dale Carlin,Dave Kirk and John Cullen with the winning penalty scoring for Ashover.

Holbrook St Michaels had a torrid end to last year but they returned tow inning ways by winning 3-2 at Swanwick Pentrich Road.

Guy Wilding and Steve Spensley both scored for Swans.

Matlock Sports went down 4-1 to Rowsley ‘86, Rob Eaton netting the Matlock goal.

Chellaston beat Wirksworth Town.

In Division One, leaders Derby Rolls Royce Leisure Reserves moved clear at the top after winning 3-0 over Bargate Rovers.

Kieron Lynch, Shaun Gordon and Danny Hemfrey all scoring for Royces.

Holbrook St. Michaels Reserves drew 1-1 with Derbyshire Amateurs, Jordan Butcher scoring for Saints, while Rowsley 86 Reserves and Lttle Eaton also engaged in a 1-1 draw, Seb Walker got the Rowsley goal.

Away fom the league in the Junior Cup, Mickleover RBL Reserves beat Newton 3-0.