Final day victory for runners-up

A tense weekend for Alfreton CC saw the promoted firsts finish as runners-up in Division One of the DCCL.

A full day of rain ON Friday did not dampen the spirits of Alfreton as they took on Marehay on Saturday, their challengers for the title.

The toss did not go in their favour and they were put into bat. Ryan Bramwell and Matt Lineker got Alfreton off to a steady start putting 43. Bramwell fell victim to Ben Perry-Taylor for 17 and Alex Mace followed shortly after.

Andy Gwatkin and Lineker steadied the ship allowing Lineker to quickly accelerate to 50. However with Lineker getting caught on 65 Alfreton might have looked in trouble with the score 97-3 at the halfway point.

However solid contributions from Bentley (28), Gwatkin (40) saw Alfreton finish on 227-9.

Marehay’s opening partnership from David Buckley and Jon Bradder looked to be on the attack.

However, six overs in saw Bradder fall leg before to Clarke. Matt Doric continued what Buckley had started until the latter edged one to Lineker at first slip off John Aspinall.

James Kyte came and went quickly. Stephen Lee and Doric continued the chase and built a 61 partnership until Doric popped one up for 59. Rain took over play with Marehay on 126-4 off 28.5 overs and after a 45 minute break the game was reduced to a final 15 overs. Marehay continued to fight for the win with Lee scoring 31 and 30 from Tom Burke. However, they finished on 199-7 . The match was abandoned leaving Marehay at the top and needing to lose and Alfreton needing to win going into Sunday’s game to be in with a chance of winning the title.

Sunday presented a less eventful match. Alfreton travelled to Quarndon. Again they were asked to bat first and with a very wet wicket batsmen were dismissed regularly with Quarndon’s Raja Sohail Haider taking 5-47. Mace was top scorer with 39 in a score of 173-9.

Quarndon got off to a solid start, putting 78 on from 20 overs without loss. However Lineker made the first breakthrough, wickets continued to fall frequently and when Johnny Acton was swiftly stumped by Mark Stokes from Lineker for 32 there was little left to come as no other batsmen reached double figures. It was the Alfreton bowlers that shone with Gwatkin taking 6-45 and Lineker 3-12 off ten overs. Quarndon were all out for 110 giving Alfreton maximum points on the day but it was not enough to secure the title.