Crib Bar respond in style with a gr-eight county cup performance

AFTER a somewhat lacklustre display the previous week, the real CRIB BAR turned up for their DCFA Senior Cup quarter final encounter against ASTON-ON-TRENT that they switched to the ground of South Normanton FC.

Adam Nicholls got them off to the perfect start when he slid the ball home to open the scoring inside the first five minutes; then hammered in from 30 yards out to double the advantage.

Keeper James Baker allowed the visitors back into the game when spilling the ball at an opponent’s feet just before the interval.

The second half was all one way, however, despite Crib kicking up the slope; Andy Calladine getting in on the act before Nicholls completed his hat-trick.

Dan Riley was next to score a debut goal before manager Adie Bamford rang the changes and made a triple substitution that bore an immediate dividend as Matt Johnstone set up Liam Brown to net with his first touch. The same player made it two touches, two goals from the restart before Tom Yates rounded off an 8-1 win from an acute angle.

SHIRLAND MW made it a League double by making progress in the DCFA Junior Cup. John Holmes (2), Andrew Spencer, Guy Taylor (2) and Rich Harrison getting the goals that secured a 6-4 victory margin

In Division Two, a depleted MARLPOOL WHITE LION showed what strength they have in depth in seeing off a plucky, but outplayed, NEW WHITE BULL side.

Matt Hunt set them on their way before defender Scott Parkin doubled the lead when powering home a header from a corner kick, and the Lion defence marshalled by the irrepressible Steve Bowler was largely untroubled.

Andrew Flint spurned a gilt-edged chance and his profligacy was punished when Jimmy Holmes ran in another to give his side a 3-0 lead at the break. A solo goal from Adam Moss was all Lion saw for their continued dominance in the second period, and their day turned somewhat sour when defender Dan Henson inexplicably held down an opponent to deny him a goal with only two minutes left, and was sent off.

Goalkeeper Andy Harris beat out Andrew Flint’s spot-kick but the ball fell kindly to Sean Annable who made no mistake with the rebound to provide some consolation for his side who went down 4-1.

CODNOR MINERS ARMS had no trouble in putting bottom side MARLPOOL UNITED to the sword. Matt Wilders got four, Kevin France (2) and John Hawkins the other as Miners strolled to a 7-0 win.

BULLS HEAD trailed DERBY ATHLETIC 2-0 at half time; then 3-1 mid-way through the second period.However, a stirring fight back led by Craig Chaplin who got a hat-trick stunned the opposition for whom things went from bad to worse as Micky Milne ran in the winner late in the day to give his side a 4-3 win.

ALLIANCE HEALTHCARE were two goals up through Matt Vardy and Danny Harris but were unable to withstand the pressure exerted by opponents HEANOR COLLIERS who went on to record a 3-2 win that had looked most unlikely earlier in the day. Memo Goran, Andy Merrin and Aaron Oakley got the all important goals.

GENEROUS BRITON were the day’s biggest scorers alongside Crib Bar. They proved too good for HILCOTE MW and ran out 8-2 winners. Man-of-the-match Dave Higginbottom got a hat-trick with the other goals being shared amongst Brian Harris, Adie Brown, Jamie Woodward and Roy McAleny. Jonathan Bingley and Ben Revill got the Hilcote replies.

Table toppers RIPLEY WHITE LION registered only the second defeat of the season on NORMANTON UNITED; Darren King getting both goals. The home side also missed a penalty kick.

In an end-to-end encounter featuring SEVEN STARS and DEVONSHIRE ARMS, the surprise was that there were no goals in the first half. However, that situation was remedied after the break by Nathan Ball who also added a second. New signing Liam Smith had his shot deflected by Ball to claim his hat-trick before Ibrahim Ashush rounded off the scoring to make it 4-0.

RIDDINGS ROVERS beat SOUTH NORMANTON BLUEBELL 5-1 in the division’s other game.