Brothers guide Millers home

Wirksworth & Middleton 200 all out [47.4 overs] (A Barlow 65, J Allen 40*, J Scott 3-19) lost to Langley Mill Utd 202-6 [40.5 overs] (P Bailey 88*, A Bailey 44, V Gobind 3-41) by 4 wickets

BROTHERS Paul and Andrew Bailey put on a 132-run fifth wicket partnership on Sunday which ensured the Millers took their place in the second round of the Marston’s Smooth Trophy.

After slumping to 36-4 to Wirksworth and Middleton, the Millers fought back to a four-wicket victory.

On a miserable drizzly day in the Peaks, Wirksworth skipper Jack Allen won the toss and decided to bat.

With powerplays introduced on a trial basis, there was plenty for the teams to think about and with this in mind, the Millers opened with spin at one end in the shape of skipper Andrew Bailey and it was he who picked up the first wicket to fall, that of Chris Barlow, stumped by Andy Sibley for four.

With only seven on the board, Wirksworth needed to build steadily in this 50-over game and Aafan Janjua and Andy Barlow took the hosts to 44 before Janjua was caught by Andrew Bailey, off Jack Scott, for 15.

The third wicket fell on 85 when South African Vyash Gobind was lbw going back to Grant Ball for 17. Wirksworth lost another nine runs later when Andrew Bailey took another catch to dismiss Michael Jefferiss for a duck, off Sajendra Thimal’s bowling.

Andy Barlow passed his 50 before he was bowled by Thimal for a patient 65 leaving the hosts in trouble at 120-5. However, skipper Jack Allen stood firm finishing unbeaten on 40 as his partners trundled back to the shed in a steady procession.

Owen Kernan was caught by Paul Bailey, off Jay Holmes’ bowling for 17 and pace men Scott and Jeff Wharton ripped through the tail to leave Wirksworth all out for 200.

Scott was the pick of the bowlers with 3 for 19. Thimal returned 2 for 28 and Wharton 2 for 41. Andrew Bailey, Ball and Holmes took the other wickets.

The Millers started badly with the rapid Gobind removing Aaron Tullett, caught by Kernan for two, Sibley bowled for four and Scott bowled for a duck. When Thimal was trapped leg before to Steve Lowe for 16, with the score on 36, the Millers were in some disarray.

At this stage the Bailey brothers took control with Andrew hitting 44 before getting bowled by Allen and Paul an unbeaten 88, including 11 fours and two sixes. This took the visitors within sight of victory, and despite losing Wharton, caught by Lowe off Chris Barlow for two, the Millers reached their target with nine overs to spare.

For Wirksworth, Gobind’s three cost him 41 runs while Lowe, Allen and Chris Barlow shared the other three wickets.

This sets the Millers up for a tasty second round home tie on June 12 against division two high flyers Sandiacre Town seconds who crushed league leaders Cutthorpe in the first round.