Batting collapse is costly for Marehay

Martin Camm of Marehay
Martin Camm of Marehay

Clifton 192 all out (27 pts) beat Marehay 142 all out (6pts) by 50 runs

Marehay 1sts suffered defeat at Clifton on Sunday in Division One of the Derbyshire County League after a spectacular batting collapse.

Clifton opted to bat first and were soon in trouble as they lost three wickets inside the first seven overs.

James Kyte then picked up the key wicket of overseas player Rifitullah Mohmand.

Clifton skipper Campbell Ogilvie may have been rueing his decision to bat first at this point but, in partnership with Faisal Khan, they began to rebuild the innings.

Ogilvie’s frustration was finally released as he hit Dean Mills for a straight six but was then bowled next ball for 27 to leave the hosts 94-4 at the halfway stage.

Marehay took the pace off the ball with Martin Camm and Ben Perry-Taylor bowling tight spells.

A useful sixth-wicket partnership developed between Khan and Will Harvey, taking the score to 171 with five overs remaining. Just as the Clifton pair looked to attack in the closing overs, wickets fell as Harvey (25) was harshly adjudged LBW to Perry-Taylor, and the returning Kyte accounted for Prutton and Pete Hort with full pitched deliveries. Khan was finally dismissed in the 48th over, caught by Gaz Buckley off Wood for 74 and the innings came to a close on 192 all out. Wood took 3-47 and Kyte 3-38.

In reply, Marehay got off to a good start with Camm and Lategan taking the score to 89-0 after 23 overs.

At this point, Clifton turned to spin with left armer Mohmand and leg spinner Khan and it was the former who made the breakthrough as Lategan picked out Hort at long on for 47.

The 100 was brought up in the 27th over but then Camm (41) was bowled by a Khan googly and Perry-Taylor edged to keeper Wedgwood to start a collapse of the Marehay middle order.

101-1 became 116-9 in the space of just ten overs and Clifton had 14 overs to claim the final wicket.

Kyte (28) decided to play a few shots in striking three sixes but then fell to an outstanding catch by youngster Prutton at deep midwicket.

It was a fitting way for Clifton to claim the maximum 27 points.

Marehay remain in sixth place and face home games against Rolleston on Saturday and a cup quarter-final against Swarkestone on Sunday.

Division 4 North. Marehay 2nd XI 179-2 (22pts) beat Chesterfield 2nd XI 173-7 (4pts) by 8 wickets

Marehay’s second team continued their fine run in the league, with a convincing home victory against Chesterfield.

The visitors made a steady start, reaching 81-1 after 17 overs.

Darren Hooley (3-34) did well but Chesterfield were well placed at 124-3 with 13 overs remaining.

However, the innings didn’t gather the momentum and with Tom Burke (2-14) applying the brakes, they were probably left feeling 173-7 wasn’t enough.

Marehay felt confident they would be able to chase the modest target and, despite the early loss of Brian Caulton, they raced to 108-1 after 20 overs with Mat Bailey and Craig Robinson putting on 100 for the second wicket before the latter was stumped for 34.

Bailey looked in fine form, and was joined by Tom Burke in marching towards the winning post.

Burke smashed 33 from just 19 deliveries including two sixes to finish the match and Bailey just fell short of a second successive century with an unbeaten 94.

Match sponsored by Peggy Merrett.

Division 7 North – Marehay 3rd XI 264/4 (19pts) drew with Heanor 2nd XI 117/5 (4pts)

The third team recorded a 19-point winning draw at Heanor after an outstanding opening partnership of 152 between youngsters Joe Spray (88 not out) and Matt Wilkinson (86).

Gaz Wilson hit a quickfire 34 to help take the total to 264-4 from 46 overs. There were two wickets apiece for Literski and Morley but both proved costly.

Heanor made no attempt to chase down the total and looked content batting out for the draw as the score crawled to 42-1 after 21 overs.

Marehay used seven bowlers and there was success for Andy Bromley (1-21), John Longdon (2-16), Spray (1-13) and Chris Kerry (1-10) but opener Matthews batted stoically through for an unbeaten 38. The innings closed on 117-5 from 46 overs.