Road safety chiefs in Derbyshire have issued a winter driving checklist for drivers.
Derby and Derbyshire Road Safety Partnership is urging motorists to be prepared for bad weather over the coming months.
At the weekend, snow and ice caused problems for drivers in parts of Derbyshire.
Mike Ashworth, chairman of the partnership’s managing group, said: “Road users are at greater risk at this time of year – commuters are more likely to be travelling in the dark and frosty conditions make journeys more difficult.
“When snow is forecast, motorists should avoid unnecessary trips and consider using public transport where possible.
“Planning ahead is vital at this time of year. We’ve produced this useful checklist for people who need to travel when weather conditions are poor.”
• Check and, if necessary, replace the anti-freeze in your radiator
• Make sure your lights are clean and check the bulbs
• Ensure your windscreen is clean
• Replace your battery if it’s not reliable
• Ensure your tyres are correctly inflated and replace them if the tread has reached the legal minimum
• Stash the following emergency kit in your car - boots, warm clothes, a blanket, a torch, a shovel, a map, jump leads, spare batteries, de-icer and ice scraper, a first aid kit, a mobile phone charger food and a warm drink and a reflective warning sign
• Check the weather forecast and travel news on local media before you set off