Troubled ex-partner to be sentenced after breaching restraining order
A troubled ex-partner is awaiting sentence after he breached a restraining order for the second time.
Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Friday, May 6, how Neil Cope, 41, of Cauldon Drive, Chesterfield, attended his ex’s Chesterfield address which he was prohibited from doing by a restraining order.
Prosecuting solicitor Sarah Haslam said: “He attended the address of the complainant in breach of a restraining order and tried to speak to his son through an open window but he didn’t enter the property.”
The court heard how Cope has previously been jailed for three weeks for threatening behaviour and for initially breaching his restraining order.
A restraining order had been issued in January in respect of a criminal damage and dangerous driving matter after he had responded to an allegation made by his ex-partner by deliberately crashing into a police car.
Cope pleaded guilty to his latest breach of the restraining order committed on May 5.
Defence solicitor Rob Sowter said: “He is not to go to this address concerned or to contact his ex.
“But he has made no attempt to contact his ex. He was trying to have contact with his son and there is nothing to stop him having contact with his son.
“He didn’t approach the house or go into the garden.”
Mr Sowter explained that Cope went to the property because of delays with social services and child contact arrangements.
He added that Cope has had mental health difficulties with post traumatic stress disorder after being in the Army and he is seeking help.
Magistrates adjourned the case to consider a probation report before sentencing on June 1.
Cope was released on unconditional bail but he must still adhere to his restraining order.