Smoke ordeal for mother and twins trapped in chemists

A DISTRAUGHT woman and her baby twins were trapped inside a Ripley chemists after staff had closed for the night, not realising she was still inside.

The 32-year-old woman and her twin boys were in the Boots on High Street just before it was due to close at 5pm on Monday, February 28.

She said she had gone to pick up a prescription from the chemists, which staff had informed her was not due until the next day.

She accidentally got locked in the store after staff closed for the night not knowing she was inside.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Services managed to get the mother and her sons out of the building half-an-hour later after she called 999.

She had already accidentally tripped the shop’s movement-activated ‘smoke cloak’, a device which fills the store with a thick vapour designed to impair the vision of intruders.

The woman, who declined to be named, said: “I was just going to get some cotton wool balls and just to have a look before my bus arrived. I went round to the check-out and called, but there was nobody there. The next thing I knew the smoke started.

“I couldn’t see at all and my babies were just screaming. No-one had checked to see if we were in the store.”

The mother-of two said she would be filing a complaint with the Boots company.

A spokesperson for the chemist said: “We apologise for any inconvenience caused to the woman and her children and we are currently working to resolve this situation .”