Lucky escape

An upholstery shop in Heage was lucky to avoid fire damage after a van engine burst into flames nearby.

The white Vauxhall Astra van was travelling down Old Road in Heage on Monday evening when the engine appeared to catch fire, one eyewitnesses said.

The driver of the vehicle was forced to pull over sharply by the side of Mr R Booth upholstery shop on the corner of Old road and New Road in the village. No one was injured. An Alfeton fire crews arrived at the scene shortly before 8.30pm and put the flames out within 25 minutes. No damage was caused to the neighbouring shop, but a public litter bin melted due to the heat.